Title

Executing Windows Based Utilities on the Server through Filemaker Go

Your post

Hello all,

Our setup:
           Filemaker Server 13 installed on a Windows 2012 R2 server
           Filemaker Pro 13 installed on Windows and Mac clients
           Filemaker Go 13 on various iOS devices

We are using Filemaker to keep inventory of all computers in our district. What I'm attempting to do is set up a button that will run a simple wake on lan utility, passing a MACAddress field as the parameter to the utility to specify which computer to wake up. This will allow us to browse to a computer in the inventory, and turn it on over the network with the push of a button from our computers, iPads, iPhones, etc. So far, this is only working from Filemaker Pro 13 installed on Windows machines.

The wake on lan utility is very simple - all it requires is "wol.exe 001122334455", just the utility name, and the MAC Address as a parameter (numeric only, no hyphens or colons)

The button is set to run: Perform Script on Server ["SendWOL"]

The "SendWOL" script is: Send Event ["aevt"; "odoc"; "cmd /c //servername/c$/wol.exe" & Filter (Inventory::WIRED_MACAddress;"0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ")

As far as I can tell, even though I'm using Perform Script on Server, the script is still being run locally on the client machine, which is why it only works on Windows machines using Filemaker Pro - it is able to use the local command prompt to accomplish the task. The web version does not have proper access to the local prompt.

I'm guessing that I'm misunderstanding the "Perform Script on Server" function. Even so, I'm hoping there's a way that I can get it to truly run on the actual Filemaker server (which is a Windows server). If I can get this to work, I may be able to do some nifty things with other utilities (ping indicators, launching remote desktop programs, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
           -Bart