2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 10:20 AM by cjcj01

Existing IIS Websites

ThomasHowell

Title

Existing IIS Websites

Your post

Hi all,

I'm new to Filemaker Server. I support a customer that is looking to install a server, but they'd like to have a development/test site before going to production. The problem is that we do not have any servers (Windows 2008 R2) that are not already hosting multiple sites already. 

I understand from reading the Filemaker Server 13 (that's the edition the client is interested in installing) that you should not install Filemaker Server 13 on a server with existing IIS sites.  My questions are 

1.           What happens to the existing sites if you do install Filemaker Server anyway?
      3.           Is there any way to restore the existing sites into a running state after the installation either by reconfiguring Filemaker, the existing default site, or through some other means?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Existing IIS Websites

Thomas Howell: 

Thank you for the post.

"1. What happens to the existing sites if you do install Filemaker Server anyway?" 

If existing IIS sites are using ports 80 and 443, then during the installation, a prompt to disable those sites will appear:

FileMaker Server will not install and reports that ports 80 and 443 are in use

Ports used by FileMaker Server 13

Understanding the system requirements for FileMaker Server 13

"2. Is there any way to restore the existing sites into a running state after the installation either by reconfiguring Filemaker, the existing default site, or through some other means?"

FileMaker Server 13 additionally includes Custom Web Publishing with PHP or XML. 

Page 25 of the following guide shows the location FileMaker Server 13 loads the site directory structure:

FileMaker® Server 13 Custom Web Publishing with PHP

Lastly, a server operating system is not required for FileMaker Server 13:

Technical Specifications FileMaker Server 13

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Existing IIS Websites
            cjcj01

Hi, 

Ref TSFalcon's posts.  The answer to 1 is correct.  Basically the default website gets disabled when installing Filemaker Server.  FMServer13 creates a new website called: FMWebSite and it requires access to port 80 (http), 443 (https) and 16000 (for admin console).

However with regard to question 2 - I don't think the links directly address your question.  

Basically, when FMServer installs itself, it creates this folder for storing the default website:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\HTTPServer\conf

From there you have a few options:

- The root folder is pretty much empty and you can add a site directly to here which becomes the root folder for your domain

- You can add sub directories or a virtual directory to this folder

- You can edit the web.config file to redirect users to other folders on the server

As such, you can host a single website and domain easily, however I'm not sure about hosting multiple sites, as I'm not that experienced with IIS.  My set up is for a single domain running a simple web site within the FMWebSite which uses .php to interact with a Filemaker database running off Server13.

Hope this helps.