8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 2:24 PM by joekapp

export

joekapp

Title

export

Your post

I uploaded all my .fp7 files to the file maker server 11. But now I want to bring them back to my local client computer. Is there any way to do this? Thanks!

Joe

• 1. Re: export
          philmodjunk

Simply use server admin to close the files, then copy them across the network from their current directory on the server to your local machine. If you don't want to keep a copy on the server, you can now delete them.

• 2. Re: export
            joekapp

i tryed to copy my .fp7 back to my local computer. but it does not have the updated records ive added since being on the server...

• 3. Re: export
              philmodjunk

Did you use FileMaker Server Admin to first close the files?

If so, then I suspect you did not copy the actual files that FileMaker Server is using to host the files, but rather a different copy of the same files--perhaps a back up copy. You'll need to find the right set of files on the server to copy to your machine.

• 4. Re: export
                joekapp

I copied my .fp7 file to my server. uploaded that database to the FMS server. After that I could login remote from my client computer and make changes to my .fp7 file on the server.

So I closed the FMS files, copied my .fp7 back over to my client computer and it does not have any of the changes i made to the file...

Hope that helps.

Joe

• 5. Re: export
                  philmodjunk

When server admin closes the files, any changes/new data not already saved to the hard drive are saved. Thus, if you have brought the correct files back to your machine they should have these changes. Since the file you copied over does not, that suggests that you copied from the wrong directory. I can't tell you which directory is the correct one as I don't know to where you uploaded the files.

In server 10, don't know if they changed it for 11, I can find a tab where the datbase default folders are shown and this tells me the filepath to the directories from which FileMaker hosts the files. It is from these directories that the files need to be copied.

• 6. Re: export
                    joekapp

mm well i saved them to the desk top. But whats really weird is that I delete the files on my FMS and i can still access them from my client computer. so the FMS must be saving it else where.. i think.

• 7. Re: export
                      philmodjunk

When you upload the files, they are copied to a specified directory for hosting. The desktop copies won't be the right copies.

• 8. Re: export
                        joekapp

I went into the config file and found out where it was backing up the files. HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups and I was able to copy the last backup to my USB and get it back to my client computer. It worked great. Weird tho, when i did a spotlight search it didn't find the files... It also had the location of where the Database folder should have been. but it was empty... o well i got what i wanted. Thanks!