1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 7:18 AM by farokh

External container issue in Server 12 on Mac.

farokh

Title

External container issue in Server 12 on Mac.

Your post

I'm trying to put a database up on Server 12 on a Mac.

The database has about 450,000 records in two tables (one has about 15,000 then other has 435,000).

Each table has a container field that holds a PDF file. I've managed to convert it from having the PDF embedded in the file to using a reference (that was quite a chore, it took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to do it due to limitations in FM Pro's automatic conversion process, but that's another story).

However, the issue I'm having is that I can't seem to get the database into Server in a usable way. If I try to upload the database to the server, the admin app crashes. So, I'm trying to manually move the database over to the Server's folder and try to put the folders that contain the actual image files into the RC_Data_FMS folder, everything works fine as long as I'm on the same machine as the Server, either through Server or local only. However, when I try to open the database on a remote client, instead of the image that should be in the container, I get a message that "The file can not be found: blahblah.pdf".

Any ideas on what I can look at to figure out what the issue is? I've checked the container info to make sure it's using the correct path to the files and everything looks OK.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: External container issue in Server 12 on Mac.
          farokh

I managed to get a script together that does exactly what I need. I wound up exporting the old container field into a local file, then inserting that file into a new external storage container field. With the database hosted on a FM Pro Server, it works except that if the FM Pro client is run on the same machine as Server, the client will crash during the script. As long as the FM Pro client is on a different machine, everything works as expected.

Hopefully this will help anyone else running into this type of issue.