AnsweredAssumed Answered

External Data References for Hosted files, File vs. Fmnet

Question asked by philmodjunk on Jul 2, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

External Data References for Hosted files, File vs. Fmnet

Your post

I've got a small number of files that are normally hosted on server #1. We have a second server that regularly receives backed up copies of the files on server #1. What I want to be able to do is use the second server in place of server #1 should a catastrophe ever strike server #1. I want to be able to simply open server console on the second server, select the backed up copies, open them and go.

One Problem:

The files (10 in all) contain external references to each other--mostly so scripts/buttons can take the user from one file to another. (It is neither practical nor possible to merge all the files into a single file by the way...) I originally had these references set up in the following format:

Fmnet:/Server 1 IP Address/Filename

Fmnet:/Server 2 IP Address/Filename

File:Filename

When I test our emergency failover procedures, everything works but there are unacceptably long pauses when first attempting to open one file by clicking a button in the current file. Filemaker takes a very long time to determine that the computer with the specified IP Address isn't hosting the file and should attempt the second IP address.

As an experiment, I tried deleting the first two references, leaving File:Filename.

Now everything pops right up as expected whether the file is currently hosted from server 1 or server 2. I suppose that if I had two files of the same name hosted from different servers, I might get unexpected results as nothing now specifies which server is hosting which file. Since I only have the two servers and will never have the same file open on both, I don't see a major problem with that.

Anybody see a reason why this approach is a bad idea?

Outcomes