2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 1:27 PM by ajmiller

External Data Source Text Field Truncated to 8192 chars when viewed in layout field.

ajmiller

Title

External Data Source Text Field Truncated to 8192 chars when viewed in layout field.

Your post

I'm running FMS 11 Advanced on a Win 2003 Server system.  From it, I'm serving a Filemaker database configured to use a MySQL database as an external ODBC data source.

The Win 2003 server has a System DSN on it configured to connect to the MySQL database on another host using the MySQL 5.1.7 connector. The connector tests successfully, and I can see the MySQL tables successfully with other SQL clients  such as WinSQL. 

FileMakerPro clients can see the MySQL tables however, when I insert a long string of text into a MySQL text field on a FileMaker layout, the entire string is saved properly into the MySQL database, but then after exiting the field on the FileMaker layout, the field then only displays the first 8192 characters of the string. I have the scroll bar enabled, and the rest of the string is not shown. I know the entire string (>8192 chars) was saved in the MySQL text field because I can see it with other (non-FileMaker) clients. The data type I'm using in MySQL is longtext.

If I then make any minor edits to the truncated text in the FileMaker field, only the characters that are displayed will be saved in MySQL and the remainder are then lost.

Is this a known limitation with external data sources? The documentation doesn't indicate that FileMaker can't handle long text fields from ODBC sources.