1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 10:32 AM by philmodjunk

External Data Source's Work Around

SmallTown

Title

External Data Source's Work Around

Your post

Server #1 (ip xxx.xxx.xxx.8) Windows 2003 sp2 FM Server 9 and Server #2 (ip xxx.xxx.xxx.7) Windows 2003 sp2 FM Server 10. I need a workaround for external file reference. I lost server #1 so I moved all the current files to server #2. I could not open my files because the main program external file references was pointing to server #1. Example: fmnet:/xxx.xxx.xxx.8/program. I wanted to write a script to test what server ip it is on and then change the fmnet:/xxx.xxx.xxx.7/program for each one. Is this possible without manually doing it thru external data sources window?

• 1. Re: External Data Source's Work Around
          philmodjunk

Not as far as I know. I solved a similar issue where I work with entries like this:

File: Filename
          Fmnet: ip address reference

May not work for you, but in our case it worked as the system tries the relative path reference first and then instantly switches to the ip address reference if the relative path does not work. This enabled me to set up two servers that can carry the whole load, by opening a back up copy from the other server, should either server suffer a catastrophic failure.