1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 10:43 AM by TSuki

External Images, FMS, and You...(Part Deux)

acsauction

Title

External Images, FMS, and You...(Part Deux)

Your post

Hi Everyone - one question before I slip into a coma...

We have 2 servers (both intranet connected via additional LAN cards) - one that our outside (cloud) clients FTP into and load photos onto (10.0.0.1), and a separate server that runs FMS11 as a database host to those customers (10.0.0.2).

FYI: They are both internet accessible via IP.

We are trying to get the photos they upload to 10.0.0.1 (ftp server) to show up in the databases which are on 10.0.0.2. We're currently trying to use a calculation that returns a container object, but FMP always processes it as a local path, which of course, doesn't work.

I'm assuming we're pathing it wrong in the calc, but it may just be something else that I can't think of at the moment.

We can't use the web viewer because of the scroll bars and resizing issues, limitations, etc.  And, of course, placing these photos directly into a container makes no sense either, for the purpose of this question.

Any suggestions other than getting reamed $695 by 360Works for SC? Help!

Thanks...

Tee

<!--POLLS--><!--FILES-->

• 1. Re: External Images, FMS, and You...(Part Deux)

LVD Admin:

Thank you for posting.

The file paths used by the container field generally need to be local paths. One exception is on windows when accessing a remote file share:

imagewin://serverName/shareName/directoryName/fileName

If using Mac, it is possible to mount a remote file share so that it can be accessed with local file paths.

In a mixed environment it is possible to include both file paths in the container field reference.

This solution does require filesharing on the server, moderate scripting, and some configuration on the clients so you may want to consider other options. What sort of workflow are you looking for as an end result?

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.