3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 6:43 AM by Kundinger

external web publishing ?

windle

Title

external web publishing ?

Your post

Hi we are testing web publishing at the min and internal it works a treat. However from home using port forwarding the page cannot load. What port would it sit on that needs opening? i can get to the admin console http://10.10.10.10:16000 that works fine but the fmi page will not display? http://10.10.10.10/fmi (this works fine internally?) Am i missing a port that needs opening up :(

The machine also runs Exchange on port which again works fine internally and externally

Any help would be great!

Thanks

• 1. Re: external web publishing ?
          Kundinger

Hi "windle",

Assuming you are using a firewall or similar appliance to perform NAT from an external IP to internal IP...

You need to open the appropriate port for FileMaker IWP.

- Typically, FileMaker uses port 80 for an IIS/Apache server hosting FMSA for IWP.
                - Use 10.10.10.10:80 to access this host internally.
                - Use 123.234.123.234:80 to  access this host externally.

- Typically, FileMaker uses port 591 for a non-server hosting FMP/FMPA for IWP .
                - Use 10.10.10.10:591 to access this host internally.
                - Use 123.234.123.234:591 to  access this host externally.

If you are using these port numbers for another device/service, you will need to configure a different port number on the system hosting the FileMaker IWP.  You will then need to append this new port number to the host IP address to gain access.

You can find more details about IP Ports on the FileMaker Website --> KnowledgeBase!!!

OPTIONAL...

Once you have resolved your 'external access' issue, create a 'static' html webpage with links to specific FileMaker DB files.

Example...     <<<  http:/\123.234.123.234:80/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=mydb&-startsession  >>> 

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 2. Re: external web publishing ?
            windle

hi thank you for your time, i do have a hardware firewall controlling things. On the same box/same ip i run a few different things and forwarding has all worked great. Exchange is the main one that runs on 80 so i presume filemaker cannot share this port and its sat on another one? Now i have searched and looked but cannot find anywhere that lets you view/change port number for webpublishing within file maker server 9. Is there a way i can view which port it is running on? i am not too bothered which port it is so wont need changing as it will be linked generally from a website anyway.

Thanks

• 3. Re: external web publishing ?
              Kundinger

Hi "windle",

You may want to take a look at some answers I provided another forum user...

and...

Some notes specific to your issues... 

- Look at the differences in FileMaker products.  FMS supports web access through CWP ONLY!  FMSA supports web access through IWP & CWP.

- Also, look at the network infrastructure requirements.   Understand that issues with 'sharing' FileMaker DB's are typically related to the network infrastructure, NOT FileMaker.  FileMaker does great sharing and has done such for 20+ years.

- "Best Practices" for any information system (including Exchange)...  DON"T RUN MULTIPLE SYSTEMS on one server!!!

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger