1 Reply Latest reply on May 6, 2013 10:14 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Extremely large stderr log file

Jason Wood

Title

Extremely large stderr log file

Your post

I have a file in Library/FileMaker Server/Logs called "stderr" and it is 450GB!!!

Most of it is related to bulk email sending that I'm doing with ScriptMaster. I'll worry about figuring out how to avoid all this logging in the future, but right now I just want to delete this file so I don't have to worry about it bringing down the system by filling the hard drive.

At first I thought if I dragged it to the desktop it would create a new file, and I could delete the old one, but it seems to maintain it's link regardless of where I put it (keeps appending the file in the new location), and I cannot empty the trash with it inside because it's "in use".

Note: I'm not very comfortable in the command line without detailed instructions.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Extremely large stderr log file

jasonwood:

Thank you for the post. 

To remove the stdrr log file, first stop the FileMaker Server. Reference the FileMaker Server 12 Help Guide for the instructions specific to the operating system in use:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/fms/fms12_help.pdf

Starting and stopping FileMaker Server is on page 32.

Starting or stopping the FileMaker Server service (Windows) is on page 223.

Starting or stopping FileMaker Server background processes (Mac OS) is on page 224.

Once the server and corresponding services are stopped, the log file can be deleted since the file will no longer be in use.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.