1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 8:13 AM by TSuki

File 'could not be opened' (error 6)

PeterLab

Title

File 'could not be opened' (error 6)

Your post

hi,

i'm working with a fm-database  which is located on our mac server (fm server 5.5 / os-x 10.4.11). until now it was no problem to open and work with the database through our network using fm 6 on our client macs.

due to a crash of one of our client macs, we had to update this mac (mbp) to snow leopard. was 10.4.11 before. since then, everytime i want to access our database, i'll get the message '*Filename* could not be opened (error 6)'. all rights of this file are 'read & write'. if i dismiss this message i'll get the same error with next file of the database (database has about 50 .ofr files).

in the opening window i can reach the server and the database using the 'host' button, so it's definitely the correct file but i'll get the same error when trying to open the file.

from one of our other client macs (10.4.11) everything is working fine. 

unfortunately, i have to use it with snow leopard, so every help and advise is highly welcome.

thanks

labcom

• 1. Re: File 'could not be opened' (error 6)

Peter Lab:

Thank you for posting.

Error 6 is for 'File is read-only' according to the FileMaker Pro error codes reference:

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/error_codes.html

Do all users have write permission set on the file? Is the file on a read-only drive? One way to test this is simply by logging in as another user and trying to move the files (without entering an Admin password).

FileMaker Server 5.5 hasn't been tested on Snow Leopard so there could be some issues getting it to work. Some workarounds include upgrading to a later version of FileMaker or running a virtual machine with a supported OS on the Snow Leopard server.

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.