8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 11:51 AM by sgwilliams

File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example

sgwilliams

Title

File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example

Your post

Looking for a way to see the filemaker pro 10 DB in MS VB 2008 Express Data source list. Any one have some sample code that I can cut and paste into my new application so I can connect. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

• 1. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
          littledog

Why you need Visual Basic if you use FileMaker?

This is like to get a child from snake and wire ...:)

And, from my experience, is typical for Win users.

Imagine - today in world is more advanced things like Visual basic or Access, Internet Explorer and never ending hang-up problems :)  

• 2. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
            sgwilliams

I only deal with Filemaker because our company uses it for our erp system, it is the bane of my existance, glitchy, flashes like a retard in a trenchcoat and looks like ancient tech from the early days of computing. I will say the data rate is pretty fast. We have our Filemaker Pro 10 set up on a SQL server. I'm writting a small VB app to compare BOM structure from our Autodesk Vault SQL Database to or Filemaker Inventory Database.

This is like to get a child from snake and wire ...

And, from my experience, is typical for Win users.

I guess some of us aren't as hip to the newest tech. I did not come here to get insulted, I'm only looking for a solution. If you don't have anything constructive to add please keep those comments to yourself. We could bicker for hours and go on and on but that is not what this forum is for.

• 3. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
              littledog

Sorry, I can't understand how structures can be compared via app.

I also cannot understand:

"We have our Filemaker Pro 10 set up on a SQL server." FM Pro can communicate with SQL, as far as I knew - FM Pro 10 don't use SQL (as we knew it).

You can try to export data from FM and then import in VB app.

FM Pro is good for ERP - fast and powerful enough for many many cases.

I have made several solutions, so I cannot understand - why VB and SQL?

All you need you can get from FM. 

• 4. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
                sgwilliams

Filemaker Pro 10 does not communicate with our Autodesk Vault software, I'm not a MAC guy so I'm not very familiar with filemaker at all. I do know that Autodesk has a very robust API and we have (as a company) utilized this by using VB in the past, which for the mostpart all of those apps work flawlessly (so far). The biggest issue we have is that our VB genius is no longer employed here. So now I have to figure out how connect the VB with the FM as he had done in the past. I do know that Autodesk allows live data to any VB app with the correct coding as a default. It has been very dificult to find any information on the subject with Filemaker.

I just installed the SequelDirectData 5.5 driver which I have not yet tried to see if it will find the server I will update this post once I have determined wether or not it was the issue. The machine Im working on had the 5.4 version of that driver originally.

As far as the structures being different is the issue I'm trying to correct. This company has used FM for many many years, since that time the Engineering department has gone thru many different CAD packages and about 12 engineers who each thought that they was using the correct part numbering system. I have been weeding thru all the redudant duplicate parts and consolidating them with a unique part number as a true ERP should be.

For three years now we have been using Autodesk Inventor for the 3D modeling and the Print production. Previous engineers and managment did not police the BOM structure for either app so I have to fix this my pulling data from both places and comparing the data so we as an Engineering dept can get on the same page as our Inventory. Once we have fixed all this data and gotten it clean and all part numbers match then we will write a VB code to pull the BOM structure from Autodesk Inventor or Autodesk Vault(this is the document management software that works with Inventor) and automatically populate the FM Database so there is no more redundant data entry which we all know is a faucet for errors to flow from. Managment here will not drop the FM database because they have far to many years invested in it(their words not mine).

Myself I don't like running cross platform apps. Either stick to MAC or stick to VB. My motto is keep it simple and don't complicate the issue. In this instance I have to follow what I have available to me.

Filemaker Pro Server 10 Runs on a SQL Dell Server which supplies data to all client machines. I beleive we currently carry 25 seats. Autodesk Vault also runs on the same SQL server. I have no problem seeing that data only the FM for some strange reason.

As I state dbefore I will update this post after I see how the new ODBC driver worked.

Thanks alot!

• 5. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
                  philmodjunk

"We have our Filemaker Pro 10 set up on a SQL server."

I could be reading this wrong, but that sounds like you have FMP as your front end and your data stored in SQL Server. If so, then why not use VB to access the SQL Server tables directly? That puts your VB app in very friendly waters for any queries etc. that you need.

• 6. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
                    sgwilliams

I can create a connection now to the ODBC using the SeqelDatadirect 5.5 driver. It sees all the sql data but when I open VB and try to connect to the DB it can't find it. A few of us have played wit this and non of us can get it too discover the FMP thru the VB application, we are currently using VB 2008 Express. Maybe I need to get the full version of VB.

• 7. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
                      philmodjunk

That doesn't seem to answer my question. Is FMP simply the user interface with all the data stored in a SQL server back end?

If so, it doesn't make since to use VB to access FMP to access SQL Server when you can cut out the FMP and ODBC middlemen and go directly to the SQL server source for the data. If I remember what I read a year or two ago about SQL server, using VB to directly access it's tables should be pretty straight forward.

• 8. Re: File Maker 10 Pro Visual Basic 2008 Express Connect Code Example
                        sgwilliams

OK I figurd out why I can't see the SQL instance, it is because there is not one. We are running FM 9 on our server and FM Pro clients on our machines, the IT guy just remembered that they have not rolled that out yet. We own a seat of FMP Advanced and plan to upgrade over the holiday break. So I guess I will wait till they upgrade before I spend any time coding. Sorry for all the confusion, this was a failure on my part for not investigating the server side sooner. Thanks for all your inputs fella's your time is greatly appreciated. I will have to post a reply once the upgrade is done and I can see an instance to connect too.

:smileywink:Happy Holiday's