1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2009 9:03 AM by philmodjunk

File Maker 10 Server is asking for a password to map the database after uploading

rwiltzius

Title

File Maker 10 Server is asking for a password to map the database after uploading

Your post

We recently migrated from File Maker Pro 4.1 on a Mac system to File Maker Pro 10 and Server 10 on windows XP and Server SBS 2008.  We successfully upgraded the files from an extension *.fp3 to *.fp7 using file maker pro 10.

After which we uploaded the *.fp7 databases to file maker server.  We can view the main database which calls other databases with no problems (using FM10 Pro while accessing the remote server).  Although when a action calls for another database....Sometimes depedning on which action it is.  It will ask where the datbase is located.  When we browse to the location it is by clicking the remote tab and then selecting the proper database... It will ask for a password.  We entered the username and password we created when installing FM Server 10, but it won't work.  You can indivually open the databases with out going through the main one without problems.  

When they used it under the Mac os.  They never had this issue as well.

Is there anyway to get by this password or find out what it is I need to be using?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: File Maker 10 Server is asking for a password to map the database after uploading
          philmodjunk

The system is asking for the file's password, not the server's. I've seen this on my files as well. If you enter a valid account name and password, they should go ahead and open the file with out trouble. In the case of some files, you may have to enter "Admin" as the account name, leave the password field blank and click "OK". (That's if there was no password set on the original file.)

In one case, one file insisted on asking for the other file's password every time a script referenced it even after I had correctly updated the external file references and even though both files had identical sets of account names and passwords. I found I had a corrupted file. Once I fixed the corruption, things worked just fine.

I strongly recommend that you open your files in FMP 10 and use File | Manage | External Data references to clean up all your external file references. When I first converted my files, I found an unbelievable amount of garbage in my external file references as well as a lot of unneeded duplication.