5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 1:19 PM by RobFisher

File maker server 11 sharing

mikee_357

Title

File maker server 11 sharing

Your post

I am new to filemaker,  we have a filemaker 11 server, on windows 2008 server,

workstations running xp pro sp3, and file maker 11 pro

my files have been uploaded to the filemaker server,

1. how do i share them so 2 users can be in the same file at the same time, one read, the other full control?

2. how to i set up the "Remote" path to the files, can i do this for a folder, or do i have to do this for each file?

• 1. Re: File maker server 11 sharing
          mrvodka

Permissions should be set up on each file. Your should have the users have different privilege sets. One can use open remote to connect to the files.

• 2. Re: File maker server 11 sharing
            mikee_357

if i set up sharing on a workstation, it shares from that workstation, i want the files to be shared on the server,  do i need to install the client software on the server to "share the databases"

if i am missing something here, feel free to write it with big crayons,

i would think the server would have a sharing function on its level, but i have not seen that in the software there,

in reality i want 4 user to have the same file open, and see live changes by other users,    i was under the impression the software works in this manner.  correct me if i am wrong,

• 3. Re: File maker server 11 sharing
              mrvodka

You are indeed correct that is the way the software works.

You do not have to turn on the "Sharing" option anymore if it is hosted by FileMaker Server. It is used for Peer to peer.

Just put the files in the server directory which was specified in teh server admin console. The users that need to access the files should have privilege sets with and extended privilege of fmapp for network sharing.

• 4. Re: File maker server 11 sharing
                mikee_357

so, revisiting this now,

i have file maker server,  my databases are there,

i have created a test database, on filemaker 11 pro, i have shared it there, i created 2 user accounts as well,

then i placed it on my server,

i uploaded the file to the server console,

why can i still not see the file in the "open remote"

what am i missing,

ultimately i would like to have several users in the same file at the same time, the file being hosted on a 2008 server machine,

please advise,

thanks

• 5. Re: File maker server 11 sharing
                  RobFisher

I think I'm seeing this problem as well.. Our FileMaker Pro 10 clients can see the shared databases on our Filemaker 10 and 11 Adv Servers, but our FileMaker Pro 11 clients can't see the shared databases on either server.  We're you able to solve this issue?