3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 1:44 PM by philmodjunk

File Maker server 8 installation help.

David_DMD

Title

File Maker server 8 installation help.

Your post

I have installed FMS 8 on my windows 2003 server (standard file share server)  and I can't even see the sample files from FMS on my client. I can see them in the database folder on the server so I know they exist. Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance

David  

smiley

• 1. Re: File Maker server 8 installation help.
          philmodjunk

Can you see the server in the dialog when you select Open Remote?

Have you hosted these files successfully before?

If not, check their settings by opening directly with filemaker pro and select Sharing | FileNamer Network to make sure that "all users" is selected for each file. (I am guessing here that this dialog is the same in FileMaker 8 as in more recent versions.)

If they are configured correctly for network hosting and you can see the server but no files listed, check out this info and see if it applies:

See:     FMP installer does not install server.pem file

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: File Maker server 8 installation help.
            David_DMD

I can see my server (FMS 8) and my database file on the server. When we access the database file, through client, it force quits, closes then that file is no longer accessable and the file is corrupted and I can't use it. I then get out a backup out and put it in the database file on the server and we can access it for three to five minutes and then it happens all over again. I thought I might have not installed the server software properly maybe causing ths problem. Thats why I asked for installation help. Maybe that's not it at all. I don't know. what do you think?

• 3. Re: File Maker server 8 installation help.
              philmodjunk

It sounds like you are attempting to host a file that is already damaged.

Try taking a copy of the file that hasn't been uploaded and opened like this, copy it to a machine that has FileMaker Pro installed and use Recover from teh file menu to open and recover this file.