File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue

sekera_chokani@sony.ca

Title

File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue

Your post

I have a two machine configuration.

FM Advanced Server version - 9.0.3.325
      OS - Windows Server 2003 Service pack 2

In the production evnironment the Web server will be in the DMZ (subnet) and FM server will be on internal network (subnet).

I have tried 4 different configurations as follows

Conf 1

Single machine ==> Internal server alone works great !

Conf 2

Single machine ==> DMZ server alone works great !

Conf3

Two machines ==> Internal server set up as the worker ==> easy install , no issues.

DMZ server set up as the 'master machine' easy install, no issue.

To test, using IWP test page, the sample database comes up & works.

This set up works great, with the exception that the master is on the DMZ, and should be on the internal network. I used this setup to confirm if I could get 2 machines to work

Conf 4

Two machines ==> DMZ server set up as the worker ===> easy install, no issues

Internal server set up as the master. Install was slower than Conf 3, however installs and there are no errors.

When the IWP test page is selected, I cannot get the test page displayed.

Any pointers would be most welcome !

• 1. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
          rmanook

Hi Canada,

Thanks for posting!

Let's start by running Task Manager and verifying what FileMaker Server services are running on both the DMZ and Internal servers.  Then we can verify if the PHP test page or the XSLT test page will launch (assuming these are active.  If not, try re-deploying, adding them, and testing).

Are we able to try a multiple machine configuration on the Internal subnet?  By doing so, we can narrow down the problem to issues with that particular host server in a multiple machine configuration or if it is strictly the one way issue across subnets.

I apologize that we do not have an immediate resolution for this issue, but these answers along with your initial troubleshooting can get us started in the right direction.  Let me know how everything works out.

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
            sekera_chokani@sony.ca

Hi tsturtle,

Please see the answer to your questions below.

1. Let's start by running Task Manager and verifying what FileMaker Server services are running on both the DMZ and Internal servers.  Then we can verify if the PHP test page or the XSLT test page will launch (assuming these are active.  If not, try re-deploying, adding them, and testing).

• When using task manager, both servers show File Maker services are running.
            • PHP test page & XSLT test pages both display though with errors. The page layout is OK and identifies as a PHP ot XSLT test pag, though states there were errors. In both cases, I left the install as default (selected) though I do not have any solutions using these.
            2. Are we able to try a multiple machine configuration on the Internal subnet?  By doing so, we can narrow down the problem to issues with that particular host server in a multiple machine configuration or if it is strictly the one way issue across subnets.
            • Yes, on the internal subnet mask, we are able to configure a multiple machine configuration.
            • When configured across the subnet, one way does work

Other steps taken. In trying to isolate the issue, we did place a 'sniffer' to lok at who initiates the traffic and what IP addresses were being called. To do this, we took the two machines off the network & connected them together with a router & hubs. Will test these this week. Not sure if this is the right direction to head in but we're running out of ideas ! :( :smileysad:

Any thoughts, suggestions?

• 3. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
              sekera_chokani@sony.ca

We moved both servers onto the same subnet. Installed worker first, followed by master.

Installation process presents no problems & goes smoothly. When trying to test IWP using the test, we get page cannot be displayed. 

• 4. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
                rmanook

Canada,

I have sent you a private message.  You can view your private messages by clicking the messages link in the upper right corner of the forum page.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
                  joegold1
                     I am having the same problem trying to set up a 2-machine configuration with virtual machines on 2 different subnets, worker machne on the DMZ, and master on the internal network. How was this resolved? Is this installation possible?
                  • 6. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
                    TSGal

joegold:

Thank you for your post.

This issue has been previously reported, and our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this.  Looking through the case notes, it appears that the DNS name does not resolve, but I cannot determine if using the IP Address is a workaround.  If more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
                      philmodjunk
                         This looks like a candidate for the Known Bug List, can anyone confirm whether or not this is strictly limited to the Server OS and Filemaker server versions originally reported or is it an FMSA 9, Windows server 2003 only issue?
                      • 8. Re: File Maker Server Advanced IWP Issue
                        TSGal

PhilModJunk:

This is a confirmed problem that exists in FileMaker Server 9 AND FileMaker Server 10.  It was originally discovered when FileMaker Server 10 was released.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.