5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 11:47 AM by flamecoder

FileMaker  Por 11support for ODBC

flamecoder

Title

FileMaker  Por 11support for ODBC

Your post

Can I use FileMaker Pro 11 sharing on a Mac and expect Win pcs to access the db with ODBC? I set the extended priviledges and set the ODBC sharing to on...

Can I use FileMaker Pro 11 Server (Not Advanced) on a Mac and expect Win pcs to access the db with ODBC?

• 1. Re: FileMaker  Por 11support for ODBC
          philmodjunk

From what application would the Windows PCs access the database?

• 2. Re: FileMaker  Por 11support for ODBC
            flamecoder

SQL Server Management Studio.... Basically trying to set-up the ODBC driver on a pc and can't make the connection.

• 3. Re: FileMaker  Por 11support for ODBC
              flamecoder

Here is an update of my current problem. I can share a db from windows using FileMaker sharing and using the ODBC drivers connect to the db from another pc. If I move this same db to a mac I cannot make a connection. Why can I not connect when shared from a mac?

• 4. Re: FileMaker  Por 11support for ODBC
                philmodjunk

As I understand it, Filemaker server (not advanced) does not support ODBC. FileMaker Server Advanced supports ODBC.

Please note that FileMaker Pro, installed on the PC's would make for a simpler way to connect to the hosted database.

Why your efforts with ODBC and Filemaker Pro as the host aren't working isn't something that I can help you with much here.

• 5. Re: FileMaker  Por 11support for ODBC
                  flamecoder

Yes I have come across this statement that FileMaker Advanced is needed to run ODBC. But many places you read tells how to set up or connect using ODBC and never really mention that Advance is used. My simple demo confirmed that I can use Filemaker sharing only on a pc and use another pc connection to it with ODBC. My IT dept wants to connect to our Filemaker db hosted on a Mac and pull some of the information into their MS SQL Server.

Going back to my original post I'm trying to confirm if Advanced server is really needed or...

Can I use FileMaker Pro 11 sharing on a Mac and expect Win pcs to access the db with ODBC?

Can I use FileMaker Pro 11 Server (Not Advanced) on a Mac and expect Win pcs to access the db with ODBC?

These are just simple yes or no questions that if someone has experience with Filemaker and ODBC, they could give me a direct answer.