8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 2:24 PM by TSGal

FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data

pdevisser

Title

FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data

Your post

The Problem

We have just upgraded to FileMaker 11 from 10. We updated the DataSource SequeLink ODBC driver to the one supplied by FileMaker.

At seemingly random intervals data fields longer than 28 characters were padded with `null` characters - char(0).
      An example woud be:
           filemaker data: 772e025e7abec12ba0ef45cc21532d49
            data from ODBC: 772e025e7abec12ba0ef45cc2153\000291
      We initially thought this might be due to the ruby code running on the websever as there were some minor code changes made to deal with the requirements of the FileMaker ODBC driver. But reverting back to FileMaker 10 and the SequeLink driver didn't require the code to be rolled back, and it works just fine.
      Has anyone else noticed that this might be occurring?
      Our Setup
            FileMaker 11 running on Mac OS X Leopard installation in our office.
            ODBC connection is running on a Mac OS X Leopard installation and connecting directly to the FileMaker 11 computer at our ISP.
            Traffic between the two is controlled via our firewall that allows traffic only from the specified IP of our web server which hosts the Ruby ODBC connection.
           We have a process that syncs data between FileMaker and a MySQL database via the ODBC connection. This goes through a subset of tables / columns on the FileMaker server and only syncs specified data fields. This process is a two-way process for most of those fields. Certain transformations are performed, specifically in relation to date/time fields. We are currently transferring between 10 to 250 records every 5 minutes.

Paul

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
          mattman

I think I can verify this issue. However,  I think it is FileMaker 11 itself and not necessarily the driver. I am working with data being accessed via ESS using Actual Drivers set to auto detect the encoding. I've also tried with the driver set explicitly to UTF8 (although FMP is UTF16 - don't know if there's issues there - shouldn't be)

Anyway, I am getting injected null characters in my mysql field which is rendering calculation code which does a comparison based on length against a local table field. This makes the calc fail in FileMaker 11.

However, you switch back to FileMaker 10 and the calc evaluates just fine. As far as I can tell, this is a bug in FMP11. My MySQL field type is longtext. Using Sequel Pro on Mac I can verify the two fields are exactly the same using a diff of the contents - yet FileMaker 11 is rendering field contents which definitely includes extra characters.

In my case I can deal with going back to FMP10 because this is a data migration - but I would classify this one as a bug - unless I'm missing some setting somewhere.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
            mattman

Ok, this is a bummer. After restarting FMP10, I'm now getting the injected characters. What the heck, is this a driver issue? There is certainly something going on because the content output from other SQL apps is rendering the right content. FileMaker is showing returns all over the place where they shouldn't be. Has anyone else had issues with FMP10 or FMP11 and MySQL (5.1.37) and getting extra characters?

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
              TSGal

pdevisser and Matt Petrowsky:

This problem was previously reported at:

FileMaker Server

In fact, the posting by pdevisser is identical to the user "Slobodan" in that thread.

In FileMaker Pro 11, we switched to a different ODBC driver, so since this worked with the old driver and not the new driver appears to point towards a driver issue.  Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue, but no other information is available since the last update.

I have attached your notes to the original case to hopefully help narrow down the cause.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
                philmodjunk

Will this also occur with Windows? I'm updating the Known Bug List to add this entry. (Original post got lost amongst the memory leak issues reported in the same thread.)

• 5. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Unfortunately, I don't have enough information on this, but the two instances reported are both on Mac OS X.  It does appear to initially point towards the driver.  As more information becomes available, I'll let everyone know.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
                    philmodjunk

Let's rephrase: Do Mac and Windows systems employ the same ODBC driver or are the drivers platform specific?

• 7. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
                      TSGal

PhilModJunk:

The functionality is the same, but the drivers are platform specific.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 11 ODBC driver corrupting data
                        TSGal

Matt Petrowsky:

I know it has been almost a year, but our Testing department would like additional information.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional instructions.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.