5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 1:35 PM by user21605

Filemaker 12 crashes when running find

user21605

Title

Filemaker 12 crashes when running find

Your post

Hi Folks,

We have a database that has been working fine on a standalone version of Filemaker Pro 12 for windows shared out using filemaker network.  Recently uploaded it to Filemaker 12 Server Adv and now and again when we open the database and login it will display the main menu ok but it I perform a find or run a script that finds a group of records Filemaker will simply crash.  If you keep trying it will eventually stay up and continue to work without issue.  This is happening on all of the computers connecting to Filemaker Server.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly received.

Thanks
           Brandan

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when running find
          philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
               The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
          3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

You've started narrowing this down:

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
               That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

But the more precisely you can narrow it down to specifics--perhaps a single layout, specific records in a table or specific search criteria, the more useful that commonality is to figuring out what needs to be fixed.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when running find
            user21605

It is definitely the database.  It never did it when only running on Filemaker Pro 12.  Ever since I uploaded it to Filemaker 12 Server.

I tried the database on a different Filemaker Server and it still crashed.  So fairly confident I have narrowed it down to the database.

As soon as I log into the database, no matter what layout I’m in, if I hit the find button or preform a script with find in it Filemaker Crashes.  So it cannot be a script.  Only hangs when doing a find, anything else doesn’t seem to crash it.  But if I login and hit find and it doesn’t crash, then it will work with no issues at all until I exit and log back in again and then it may or may not crash when preforming a find.

Actually I have notice from time to time as soon as you log in it crashes without hitting the find button which does hint at a possible corrupt file.

Error in the server logs the following:

Warning 30           SERVER01           Client "USER (USERS-PC) [192.168.0.30]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

But this also happens on a totally different Workstation and user.

This has been happening for months.

Where does Filemaker output the recovered database’s too? Can’t find it anywhere.  Used to put it in the same location has the database files in the non-server version.

I’m panicking a little really.  The database has been running for 8 years, and I have been adding to it over that period of time.  But always had a successful upgrades.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when running find
              philmodjunk

It is definitely the database.  It never did it when only running on Filemaker Pro 12.  Ever since I uploaded it to Filemaker 12 Server.

Not really. I get why you think that, but this still could be due to a damaged FileMaker file. It just may be that the part of the file that is damaged does not produce a crash until you host the file. You may be dealing with a nasty case of latent file corruption where your file has been damaged but not misbehaving for a long time--which could make correcting this problem difficult unless recover successfully repairs your file.

Please run this test that I suggested earlier:

Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash.

Please run a recover. To recover the file, put a copy of the file (drag a recent backup copy across the network from the server to your local machine) on your computer, launch FileMaker without opening this file and select Recover from the File menu. When you do, you'll first get a dialog for selecting the file to recover and then you'll get a dialog where you can specify the name and the location to where the recovered copy will be saved. Thus, recover saves the recovered copy to whatever file name and location you choose for this file.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when running find
                tomasd

Brandan:

If you can repeat the crash again, install Debugging Tools for Windows and open Filemaker exe (client) in it. Here is installation guide.http://www.sysads.co.uk/2012/05/installing-and-configuring-windbg-windows-debug-tools%E2%80%8F/

Firstly, open Windbg and go to File>Open executable ... search for Filemaker Pro Advanced.exe or Filemaker Pro.exe in your C:/Program files/Filemaker. Then you have to press F5 (Debug>Go) in Windbg until Debug>Go item is disabled. After that you can do actions in Filemaker and when the error occurs, switch to Windbg again (not closing filemaker) and look what errors are logged in window...

The log won't be detailed as we need, because Filemaker debugging symbols are not publicly available, but it can be more specific than Windows error message.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when running find
                  user21605

Taking the Database offline and performing a recovery on a local Filemaker Pro Workstation did not work.  However, it did keep crashing Locally.  Therefore I tried a few things like resetting privileges and sharing settings and it seems to have stopped crashing.  Have opened it several times and performed finds with no issues.  Fingers Cross.

Therefore I can't say for sure what was causing it but resetting/checking the above has done something.  Will see how it goes over the next few days and will report back if there are any further developments.

Thanks PhilModJunk for pointing me in the right direction.  Thomas: I'll keep your suggestion in mind if I have any further issues.