2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 7:16 AM by RayMentor

Filemaker 8 Client with Filemaker Server 11

RayMentor

Title

Filemaker 8 Client with Filemaker Server 11

Your post

I have a client on a limited budget who wants to install FMS 11 to host his database. However, he has a mixture of FM 9 and FM 8 clients. FMS docs say it requires FM client 9 and higher. I've deployed my test FMS on his network and successfully used FM8 client to open the database and try some scripts. So far it seems to work fine. 

Question: is is OK to use FM8 clients with FMS 11 even though the docs don't specifically mention it's compatible with FM8 clients?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 8 Client with Filemaker Server 11
          MattHirons

First, a caveat...  when we first upgraded to FMS11, we changed a few other things at the same time, so our experiences could be unrelated to FMS11.

Everything seemed to work fine when we were testing, however once we got a decent number of FM 8 users connected (around 100), we started having weird issues.  We eventually had to roll back to FMS10 and revert to a backup database.

We then upgraded all clients to FM11 first, waited a couple days, and then upgraded to FMS11 (without making any other changes), and for the most part it is working ok.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 8 Client with Filemaker Server 11
            RayMentor

Thanks Matt. This is a 12-user installation so hopefully they'll be OK. Plan to upgrade at end of August to FM11 client software. Their budget is VERY limited right now. Appreciate your sharing your experience!