6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2009 2:01 PM by philmodjunk

FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer

mvanderlaan

Title

FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer

Your post

Is it possible to install both a FileMaker 9 Pro client and FileMaker 10 Server (developers license) on the same computer?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

• 1. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer
          philmodjunk
             Yes, it is possible. There's a knowledge base article that warns you that this can slow down server's performance if you run both applications simultaneously. I keep a copy of Pro on my servers so that I can do some quick fixes and in one case so that I can use Windows Scheduled Tasks to open an FMP robot file to do some necessary housekeeping after hours.
          • 2. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer
            mrvodka
               Yes you can install it, but its not really a good idea to try open remote to the same server.
            • 3. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer
              mvanderlaan

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Mike

• 4. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer
                philmodjunk

mr_vodka wrote:
                Yes you can install it, but its not really a good idea to try open remote to the same server.

Good point. When I use FM Pro to do a quick fix, I use server to close the file and then use FMP pro to open the file.

Just out of curiosity, what issues have you seen if you open remote to the same server?

• 5. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer
                  mrvodka

I personally havent really seen any real issues but then again I dont really do it.

I know with the older verions, it was definitely not part of the processes that FMI recommended. I do believe that FMI over the years with their newer versions of server changed their stance. They recommend that running client on the same box would be better than trying to use a remote client such as terminal services where one could possible lost connection. 

That being said though, the FMI engineers did NOT endorse the setup. Basically, they said that it could be done if you dont have a choice.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro and FileMaker 10 Server on the same computer
                    philmodjunk

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was expecting but it's nice to be sure. As a long time user I remember when FM inc reps and other technically savvy people very strongly warned against running fmp and server on the same machine.

Lately, that seems to have been toned down a lot. Many posters here report successfully running filemaker and server on the same machine. I've been unable to find a thread where I asked the same question of TSgal and haven't been able to find it. What I recall is that she posted a link to a knowledge base article that warned of possible performance issues (no suprise there), but it did not warn of any other issues.

I then decided to test running my robot fmp file that's set to run after all other users have quit and gone home. So far, I've encountered no problems whatsoever. If I do encounter any issues or another user reports problems with this approach, I can easily move the robot to a client computer, I'm just trying to keep all my "server stuff" in one package and reduce the number of machines that have to be left on by one when I go home each night.