3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 9:04 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Admin Console 11 Securing only uploaden databases.

SysteembeheerAT

Title

Filemaker Admin Console 11 Securing only uploaden databases.

Your post

Dear FM users,

Iám new here also FM is for me new. So I got a qeestion about securing and uploading database only.

I setup a FM advanced server by using windows server 2008R2 and IIS7. Everything is working fine! The database is approachable also more people can work with it. However now is the question, If I want to upload a database i must always go to the filemaker admin console and login with an admin account. I want secure that so nobody have the rights to get on the server settings. However is ther a possiblity to make a new user under filemaker admin pro but secure this one only to upload the file. Like a printer html based thing Read and write only or upload only.

The server is now in production and i want to crash it down now.

I hope to hear.

Regards,

Roderik de Haar

Netherlands. 

• 1. Re: Filemaker Admin Console 11 Securing only uploaden databases.
          philmodjunk

To upload a new file does not require using the admin console. You can just copy the file to the directory from which the server hosts the files. However, to remove a file already hosted requires using admin to close the file. Likewise, it requires using the admin console to open the files after they have been added to this directory before server will start hosting the newly added file.

I don't think there is any way that you can give limited access to the admin console to only open/close and upload/remove files.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Admin Console 11 Securing only uploaden databases.
            SysteembeheerAT

Dear Phil,

Ok I'll explain the problem a little bit.

1. We are using Windows 2008R2 with IIS7 (worksfine)

2. We also using "instand Web Publishing" so other manager can fill in or change what they want. (Works fine)

3. Before Using it my manager create the database in FMP 11 client. that database I copied to the server en the database directory of FMPS.

4. After tweaking and testing it works also the security.

5. Also other people are using Mac we can also open it remotely works fine, but when if a manager makes a new database and would like to publish it on IWP and give the rights and security the same as the other database. We are using AD for extenal policy...

Hope to hear.

Roderik

• 3. Re: Filemaker Admin Console 11 Securing only uploaden databases.
              philmodjunk

As I said before, the Admin console only has a simple password control. Either you have full access or you have no access. Your manager will either need full access to upload a new file or he'll need to contact you to do it everytime this needs to be done. With remote access, you need not have direct access to the machine. Your manager can copy the file to a location on the server and then you can use remote access via the console or remote desktop access to upload the new file on his/her behalf.