AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filemaker as ODBC data source, strange behavior

Question asked by phpProSG on Jul 8, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 by phpProSG

Title

Filemaker as ODBC data source, strange behavior

Your post

I am connecting to Filemaker Server 9 through ODBC, trying to use FM as a data source.

I have a table called "attorneyDatabase" with 6 fields that are relevant to me (I don't know how many fields total).  The

entire table holds 775 records.

When I select one or two fields (select "Client Number", "Name" from attorneyDatabase), I get the result in about 5 seconds

with values filled in each field.

Sample section of result set:
Client Number = 14366
Name = Michael Me***

Client Number = 14367
Name = Tanja Ma***

Client Number = 14368
Name = Andrew Ro***

Client Number = 14369
Name = Wendy Wa***

However, when I start adding other fields (select "Company", "Client Number", "Name" from attorneyDatabase), the query takes around 3 and a half minutes to run, and returns results with values missing.

Same sample section of result set:
Company =
Client Number = 0
Name =

Company =
Client Number = 0
Name =

Company =
Client Number = 14368
Name = Andrew Ro***

Company = Alst***
Client Number = 14369
Name = Wendy Wa***

When I just select the Company (select "Company" from attorneyDatabase), I get full results again, no missing data.

Same sample section of result set:
Company = McDe***

Company = Fole***

Company = Staa***

Company = Alst***

In addition to the blank rows issue (perhaps related to it), the more fields that I try to select, the longer the query takes

in giving back a response, so that when I try to select all 6 fields, the query can take around 15 minutes to respond, and

then comes back with about 2/3 blank records, and the rest correct.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps something - odbc or filemaker - is timing out on the query and returning blank

results after a certain time.  But I don't know of any such limit.  Also, I am surprised that a db of only 775 records is

taking this long in general to return results.  I'm stumped.  Ideas, anyone?

Outcomes