3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 3:58 PM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Offline and Online

KentCheung

Title

FileMaker Offline and Online

Your post

Hi

If my laptop cannot access internet and I still want to use my filemaker file which should be connected the the database in the filemaker server, is there a way I can still use my filemaker file offline and when I can go online, new records can update my current database in my laptop?  Any help is appreciate.  Thanks

Kent

• 1. Re: FileMaker Offline and Online
          philmodjunk

This could be done, but given the potential complexity involved depending on your database system and whether you have other users accessing your data, this may be very simple or extremely complex to do.

Will you be only creating new records or modifying existing records?

Will other users be adding/editing records at the same time you are working off line?

• 2. Re: FileMaker Offline and Online
            KentCheung

Thank you for your reply.  Only the server side administrator will be editing the records.  One client side, the user can only use the offline database for ready only purpose.  If athe administrator on the server update or add records, can the client side detect it and update the records when internet is available?  Many thanks.

Kent

• 3. Re: FileMaker Offline and Online
              philmodjunk

The fact that the downloaded database is read-only greatly simplifies the "synch" issue as the data only flows one way.

Identifying records that are new or newly modified would be fairly straight forward. You can add a modification timestamp field to all tables defined in the database where edits might take place. You can use relationships based on this date field or peform finds against the server tables to locate any new and modified records. If any are found, a scripted import records step can import with a matching records setup that updates existing records and adds new records.

The automatic checking process might be a bit problematic. What I'm not sure about is how successfully we can get a a script to attempt connection to a server that may or may not be accessible at the time an On Timer script performs it.