0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 1:28 PM by geekeroo

Filemaker PHP/API Encoding Issue

geekeroo

Title

Filemaker PHP/API Encoding Issue

Your post

From a UTF-8 encoded PHP script, I'm trying to do a simple find request that adds a find criterion looking for a Japanese name in a field. However, Filemaker returns an error of NO RECORD FOUND. However, if the name in the field is an English name, then it will find the record (of course, changing the record's data to the romanized name). 

The API configuration is set to use UTF-8. It can READ Japanese data from the records, but cannot do the find request. Anyone know why? What's the quirk I'm not understanding?

Also, when I use API to create a record, the English fields add correctly, but the Japanese fields do not. Everywhere that I know of is set to use UTF8, what am I missing? 

Is PHP the culprit?

In the manual I read this:

PHP 4 and PHP 5 use Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) encoding. FileMaker Server returns Unicode (UTF-8) data. Use the FileMaker Server Admin Console to specify the default character encoding for your site. For PHP sites, you can specify either UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1. Specify the same setting for the charset attribute in the <HEAD> section of your site PHP files.

but I've done what is says to do in the <HEAD> section. So what now?

FYI: FMAdv v11.3 to FMServer v11.0