1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 10:18 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro 5 to FileMaker Server 13

AustinDigital

Title

FileMaker Pro 5 to FileMaker Server 13

Your post

Hi everyone,

New to the forums and I need your collective expertise to help me move into modern FileMaker:

I work for a printing company which has been using FileMaker to create job orders, purchase orders, contact lists, etc. since 1996.

Currently, our 11 databases (originally created in FM 3) are being hosted via TCP/IP using FileMaker Pro 5.0v3 on a 333 MHz iMac over Mac OS 9.2.2.

We have eight copies of FM ranging from 5.0 to 6.0 accessing the hosted databases.

I need to upgrade and my utopian vision is to host those databases using FM Server 13 on our newest Mac Mini (2.6 GHz Quad Core i7 running OSX Mavericks 10.9).

I would like for our sales reps to be able to access and modify our databases via a web browser in order to bypass the need to purchase so many copies of FM Pro and allow accessibility to our files remotely. Am I thinking correctly here?

So here are some questions:

How do I convert the FM 5.0 databases to FM Server 13? Do I need FM Pro 13 to do that?

Can our sales reps create new records using a web browser instead of the FM Pro applications?

Is FM Server 13 a one-stop shopping solution to fulfill my needs?

Thanks in advance!