4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 9:50 AM by kptchris

Filemaker Pro 5.5 Server 5.5v4 UPDATER FOR MACINTOSH

kptchris

Title

Filemaker Pro 5.5 Server 5.5v4 UPDATER FOR MACINTOSH

Your post

I am rewriting an older solution for a client, but their old server has perished. I have the original 5.5v1 installer disc, but the server doesn't start up. As a long time FMP Server admin, I am familiar with this issue, and know I need 5.5v4 to make it work probably. Filemaker no longer hosts an english version of the 5.5v4 server updater (there is one in Japanese on the .jp site but that doesn't work).

I need this updater so that I may begin rewriting their solution in Filemaker Pro 12 (we already have a server setup etc).

So if anybody has a copy of this magic updater laying around or know where I can get my filthy little mitts on it, please let me know.

~chris

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 Server 5.5v4 UPDATER FOR MACINTOSH
          thomasseidler

Just in case it is still relevant for anyone, i have the file and can mail it to you (1.8MB). I'm slowly migrating my F5 solution for company to F9/10/11... now 12! ;) And F5 server is becomiing unstable. Wondering about new machine. Will it work on a Mac Pro? 10.4.7, should I try! :) Anyone any experience? Tom

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 Server 5.5v4 UPDATER FOR MACINTOSH
            kptchris

Filemaker 5.5 Server will most certainly not work. I have a solution running in a VMware 10.5 Server Virtual Machine. It will not function properly no matter how I tried in 10.6 nor 10.7.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 Server 5.5v4 UPDATER FOR MACINTOSH
              thomasseidler

Thanks, KPTChris!

I can install Filemaker Server 5.5 on a 2006 MacPro1,1 with original install discs taking OS back to 10.4.7, but i have a feeling this is dangerous, as it'll still be running in Rosetta, as opposed to native PowerPC. Worth a go? Or is this a known unstable set up (I remember the days of unstable servers, fortunately long in the past, but I still have no wish to revisit!).

You don't think this will work? I've presently got it running on 10.4.4 on a G5 tower, but as I say, more frequent random crashes are giving me concern that I should have a back up solution!!

Tom

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 Server 5.5v4 UPDATER FOR MACINTOSH
                kptchris

It won't 'work' beyond 10.4.8.

I have tested this regardless of the hardware. It will install, it will startup and then hangs. Same results beyond that.

I have a successful solution running in VMware on top of a FreeBSD 10.4 installation - this was a serious pain in the rear to make - while I converted the DB's to be used with FMServer 10. The VM is running under VMware Fusion 6.0.2 on OSx 10.9.1. The VM is fine, but the clients would kind of like to upgrade their machines to 10.8 for security purposes.

When doing this, I opened the DB's in FM6, then 7 to get up to FMP7 file format. Then jumped to FM10. We had 65 databases, half of which were static tables that were all incorporated into the main database. Took me about 4 months to have it all working.