1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 5:42 PM by bigtom

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server

JordanWillis

Title

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server

Your post

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to FMP and just wanted to get clarification from the documentation about what software I need. The lab I just joined had used a filemaker 7 on some very old computer that was extremely outdated. It broke down and we bought a new computer. I was reading about instant web publishing and thought that probably would suit the labs needs. We are a smaller group and just host a few databases for inventory. 

We bought a computer, I connected the static IP, and also purchased FileMaker Pro Server 13. It seems from reading the documentation in retrospect, I also need FileMaker Pro to manage and upload the databases. My goal is very simple. I want to host FileMaker over the web and have anyone in my lab be able to login in from their location. However, the old databases need to be uploaded to the server. 

After I start the filemaker server and go the domain that is connected to FMS, it just is a splash screen telling me that this is a server instance. Where are all the database links? Did I get the wrong thing? How can I achieve my modest goal.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server
          bigtom

You do need at least one FMPro 13 client to manage creating a new database or converting the fmp7 database and upload it to the server. I would advise Pro Advanced if you are only going to have one client copy. When using web technology depending on the number of users you may need a separate web server machine. Please see the recommendations from Filemaker.

Instant web publishing was retired in FMServer 12. FMServer 13 uses Custom Web Publishing and requires a little more knowledge of web languages. I wish IWP was still available for people who only need a way to access simple raw data on simple records.

You can also place the file in the default directory on the server and you do not need a client copy for that, but FMS13 will maybe not recognize the fmp7 extension for hosting. You will need a client to convert it. The trial version may do this for you, but I strongly suggest you buy one copy of Pro advanced anyway.