8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 10:04 PM by Fred(CH)

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine

Fred(CH)

Title

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine

Your post

Hi,

Since long time ago i had in mind that FMI didn't supported to have a FileMaker Pro client which access to a file hosted by FileMaker Server on the same machine.

I also had heard that it could crash the computer. All right.

Today i was searching a bit of documentation about this limitation. I didn't find any on user's manual / help of FileMaker Pro nor FileMaker Server 13.

Then i have found this kb article : Troubleshooting FileMaker Network Sharing in FileMaker Pro which state in particular : "Running FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same computer is not a supported configuration.  If you see a message like, "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer," you will need to quit both FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server and then re-start the one you want to use for sharing files."

OK. But it would be great to have little more accurate info about it. I have two questions :

1. Since the new Admin Console 13 have not any upload function, is the use of FileMaker Pro on the server to install the file (and so, avoid access privilege problems with OS X) supported by FMI or not ?
      3. The sentence in italic above (seem to) talk about sharing in particular. But if i would use an instance of FileMaker Pro to accomplish some special tasks or daemons as, for instance, generate PDF, and assuming i turned off file sharing on FileMaker Pro, and have double memory and processor than usually expected wink, is the cooperation between FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Server 13 supposed to work fine or not ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
      Fred

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine

Fred:

Thank you for the post.

Officially FileMaker Inc. does not test FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same computer; however, often times installing FileMaker Pro to the FileMaker Server is a good troubleshooting step to eliminate the network and firewalls.

The reason for the note in the kb article Troubleshooting FileMaker Network Sharing in FileMaker Pro is the one you already mentioned, that is a potential port conflict on 5003 if FileMaker Pro (Advanced) sharing is enabled. 

“Since the new Admin Console 13 have not any upload function, is the use of FileMaker Pro on the server to install the file (and so, avoid access privilege problems with OS X) supported by FMI or not ?”

I have often suggested this as a troubleshooting step for the reason mentioned above and the reasons you mention. 

“is the cooperation between FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Server 13 supposed to work fine or not ?”

Should the two work at the same time on the same computer? Yes, but if FileMaker Pro is performing heavy client-side processing, then resources that could be dedicated to FileMaker Server will be used. 

On my work machine, I have FileMaker Pro 11, FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 12, FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 13, FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced, and FileMaker Server 13.0v5 for the purposes of testing. However, I would not recommend that in a production environment. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine
            Markus Schneider

I have a FileMaker client running on every server here - as long as no one tries to open database-files opened alread by the server, I have had not one single problem since the .fp7 format (we skipped FM7) due to this. We have had problems before, FMS 5.5 and 3 - on those systems, I did never run FMS and a client at the same time

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine
              Fred(CH)
              Hi TSFalcon,

Thank you a lot.

As usual, your very fast and detailed answer is awesome.

Have a nice week-end.

Friendly, Fred
              • 4. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine
                Fred(CH)

Hi Markus,

Also, i really appreciate your feedback "from the real world" and sharing your long standing experience.

I think i will try it in production environment with care, and post back here if encounter some limitations or problem.

All the best to you too !

Fred

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine
                  philmodjunk

I've certainly use FM Pro and FM Server on the same machine with FMS 10,  but haven't needed to in FMS 13. I had FM Pro installed so that Windows Scheduled tasks could open a "robot" FileMaker file that was not hosted via server, but a script in the file would connect to a hosted file on the server and run a script from a client context that could not be run from a Host context via a server schedule. This file ran late at night at a system where the users kept regular business hours--which avoided any issues with a client session consuming resources etc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine
                    Fred(CH)

Sorry Phil but i think don't follow you. Maybe because of (english) language which is my main weakness...

I (mis?)understood the robot is a local database file (not hosted) which have an external datasource type "fmnet:/" pointing on a hosted file.
                    Then, the local file perform a script located on the external datasource.
                    Additionnaly, the local file is automatically opened by a Windows shell script over night.

Am i correct ?

If so what are difference between FM10 and FM13 on this scenario ?
                    And, in essence, what does it change if the local file is executed by a FileMaker Pro located on the same machine than FileMaker Server or not.

Thank you for your patience...

Fred

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine
                      philmodjunk

I don't know that there is any difference. I expect that the same method would work with 13 as 10. I just haven't had the need to do so and thus can't say that I've done so and it works. I offered it as an example of one reason why you might install FileMaker Pro on the server machine as long as you keep sharing disabled for the FMP application.

And I did not need any shell script to do this. Windows Scheduled Tasks was all I needed to schedule the robot file to open at a specified time of day. An On FirstWindowOpen trigger (different name in 10, but same function) then performed a script with a Perform script step that performed a script in one of the hosted files. The robot file opened itself with credentials specified in File Options that matched to credentials in the file(s) it had to open on the server.

This was so a script could use import records to import data from one hosted FileMaker file directly into another hosted FileMaker file--something that cannot be done from a scheduled script via server as such a script would have to export data to a text file from the source file and then import that text file into the target file.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine
                        Fred(CH)

Thank you Phil, understood... And now, you are aware that my Windows knowledge is as bas as my english wink