AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine

Question asked by Fred(CH) on Mar 26, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 by Fred(CH)

Title

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same machine

Your post

Hi,

Since long time ago i had in mind that FMI didn't supported to have a FileMaker Pro client which access to a file hosted by FileMaker Server on the same machine.

I also had heard that it could crash the computer. All right.

Today i was searching a bit of documentation about this limitation. I didn't find any on user's manual / help of FileMaker Pro nor FileMaker Server 13.

Then i have found this kb article : Troubleshooting FileMaker Network Sharing in FileMaker Pro which state in particular : "Running FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server on the same computer is not a supported configuration.  If you see a message like, "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer," you will need to quit both FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server and then re-start the one you want to use for sharing files."

OK. But it would be great to have little more accurate info about it. I have two questions :

1. Since the new Admin Console 13 have not any upload function, is the use of FileMaker Pro on the server to install the file (and so, avoid access privilege problems with OS X) supported by FMI or not ?
  3. The sentence in italic above (seem to) talk about sharing in particular. But if i would use an instance of FileMaker Pro to accomplish some special tasks or daemons as, for instance, generate PDF, and assuming i turned off file sharing on FileMaker Pro, and have double memory and processor than usually expected wink, is the cooperation between FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Server 13 supposed to work fine or not ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Fred

Outcomes