4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 11:35 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro Server 8.0 conversion to 10.0 Problem

twomikey

Title

Filemaker Pro Server 8.0 conversion to 10.0 Problem

Your post

We recently converted to Fileamker Pro Server 10.0.  I was always able to manager the databases, etc from my XP workstations but now the 10.0 server software will not load on my machine.  How do I get a User Console on my XP so I can manage all my databases.  I cannot go down to the server room every time I need to make an update to a database field, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro Server 8.0 conversion to 10.0 Problem
          philmodjunk

I haven't done this myself or I'd give you step by step, but it is possible to install just the Java based admin console on your XP machine. Check over your documentation or wait for another forum member to help you out if you want to do that.

I chose to use XP's remote desktop access tool instead and just run the admin console through the remote desktop connection. This option enables me to do more than just manage FMS 10. I can also check for Unused hard drive capacity, check OS event logs, confirm scheduled backups have put files where I expected, can check on OS based scripts that move those files to external drives.... Etc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro Server 8.0 conversion to 10.0 Problem
            TSGal

twomikey:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

You probably are trying to use the Admin Console for FileMaker Server 8.  Therefore, on your XP machine, launch a browser and enter: 

http://<IP Address of Server machine>:16000

This will allow you to start the FileMaker Server 10 Admin Console from your machine.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro Server 8.0 conversion to 10.0 Problem
              MikeyG79
                 why would you need to be at the server to "update to a database field"?
              • 4. Re: Filemaker Pro Server 8.0 conversion to 10.0 Problem
                philmodjunk

MikeyG79 wrote:
                why would you need to be at the server to "update to a database field"?

It depends on the "update" to some degree, but changing a field definition is much safer when no one else is editing data in that table (when you click OK to commit the design change, filemaker briefly locks the table and this has been shown to keep edits from other clients from correctly updating records in the table.) Using admin to close the file so you can re-open it directly with filemaker is one way to do that. It's also one way to change the initial value in a global field so that the change "sticks".