3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 10:13 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro Server and FileMaker Pro

leknar

Title

FileMaker Pro Server and FileMaker Pro

Your post

If I have FileMaker Pro Server in the server.

Can my users access it directly without having FileMaker Pro? and how?

Does each user has to have FileMaker Pro installed in their laptop/PC in order to be able to access to FileMaker Pro Server?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Server and FileMaker Pro
          philmodjunk

The easiest method and one that enables you to use all the interface design features available is for each client to use FileMaker Pro to connect to the database. If you use custom web publishing to publish your database to the web or office intranet, your users can use their web browsers to connect, but this will require a great deal more design work to pull off.

If you use FileMaker Server Advanced, you can use an option known as Instant Web Publishing to publish the databse for web browser access, but this is not supported by FileMaker Server.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Server and FileMaker Pro
            leknar

Thanks PhilModJunk for the answer. 

How does a "Creating Runtime Applications" feature of FileMaker Pro Advanced work?

Can I create a Runtime Application from FileMaker Pro Advanced and let my users use and access to FileMaker Pro Server?

If it can be done, does each of my user still need to have FileMaker Pro installed on their laptop/PC?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Server and FileMaker Pro
              philmodjunk

If it could be done, FileMaker's Revenues might drop considerably. wink

Runtime solutions are standalone (single user) versions of the software linked to a specific set of database files kept with the application. Runtime applications cannot function as clients of a hosted database.