4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 8:06 AM by Macl007

Filemaker Server 10 reinstall cannot open Admin Console

V

Title

Filemaker Server 10 reinstall cannot open Admin Console

Your post

Good morning all,

I had to do a reinstall of FMS10A. 

After the initial uninstall, the FileMaker Admin Console would not start, the "Admin Console Start Page" simply kept reloading in the browser and the Admin Console from Start -> Programs -> Filemaker Server -> FMS10-<servername> gives the error "The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server."

Thinking perhaps I had not done a full uninstall, I did *another* uninstall, and also removed the FileMaker Server directory and subdirectories, to be sure of a clean reinstall.

After a successful install (as stated by eventvwr), the same event occurred.  In the browser, the admin console start 'run once' page just keeps reloading and the admin console FMS10-<servername> returns the same error.

What should my next step be?

Thanks,
      V

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 10 reinstall cannot open Admin Console
          MikeyG79
             clear java cache?
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Server 10 reinstall cannot open Admin Console
            V

Nope.  Cleared Java cache, and nothing.  Anything else or anyone else?

Thanks much,

V

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 10 reinstall cannot open Admin Console
              V

Well, I solved my own problem, with the help of the tech guys from Filemaker.
              There's apparently a bug in the server where if you do an uninstall and a reinstall, occasionally the server software will keep a binding to the NIC.
              An educated guess is that there's some sort of GUID entry in the registry that does not get removed with an uninstall and the new install has a conflicting entry, so the thing cannot connect.

To solve the problem, from the console disable the NIC, do an uninstall and reinstall, which causes FMS to bind to the loopback interface, then re-enable the NIC. Problem solved.

By the way, FMS10A works just fine with Symantec's Backup Exec 12.5 which uses MS SQL Express.

Now all we need is to get the server and client ported to GNU/Linux (The client runs nicely on the latest stable version from WINEHQ as of 8/1/2009 BTW.)

Be well everyone,
              V

For searching:
              windows server 2003 Filemaker Server 10 Advanced admin console reinstall install fail doesn't start does not start

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server 10 reinstall cannot open Admin Console
                Macl007

Hello V,

It seems that I have the same kind of issues at the moment with an FMS10.

Could you elaborate a little bit on the solution you found. I don't understand what you mean by "from the console disable the NIC".

Where do you do that and what means NIC ?

I don't have access to the FM admin Console as I had to remove my previous version of FMS10.

Thanks in advance for your help.