3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 12:01 PM by crw030

Filemaker Server 11 - XML Custom Web Publishing - Cannot Authenticate

DavidRamage

Title

Filemaker Server 11 - XML Custom Web Publishing - Cannot Authenticate

Your post

Greetings,

I have inherited a Filemaker Server 11 installation (it came with a new job).  I want to use the XML custom web publishing feature to build some custom applications, but no username/password combination is accepted.  If no credentials are given, an HTTP 401 is returned.

Filemaker Server is running on Windows Server 2008.  It is pointed at Active Directory for authentication.  Users are able to connect to the server with Filemaker Pro without any problems, and Instant Web Publishing also works with the same username and password that I try to use for custom web publishing.  The "fmxml" permission has been applied to the databases, and users have been given rights to it.

The only thing which really stands out as far as logs are concerned shows up under the Windows security log in event viewer.  There is an "Unkown user name or bad password" event that shows up for a username other than the one trying to authenticate.  The sysadmin responsible for the box has told me that it is an AD trust account and appears to be in good working order (I'm not a Windows person).

I'm sure something is just set up wrong, but I'm not sure what.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 11 - XML Custom Web Publishing - Cannot Authenticate
          DavidRamage

After creating an account for the database (not on active directory) the XML service works.  I'm not sure if it is supposed to be able to use AD or not.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server 11 - XML Custom Web Publishing - Cannot Authenticate
            jinfeld

I had the identical problem but the remedy was to disable authentication for FMWebSite in IIS

The Filemaker user and password was OK but IIS was expecting to authenticate also. To turn this off:

On the server hosting IIS websites, disable IIS authentication:
            1. In Control Panel, choose System and Security > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
            2. In Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, select the FMWebSite site. You may have to expand some of the nodes to see the websites.
            3. In the center pane, double-click Authentication.
            4. In the Authentication pane, do the following:
                Ensure that Anonymous Authentication is enabled

Disable all other authentication methods
            5. Exit the IIS manager and Admin run CMD and run iisrest to restart the webserver

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 11 - XML Custom Web Publishing - Cannot Authenticate
              crw030

@jinfeld.

Thanks for posting this, I was having an issue on FMS13 where Web Direct was working fine but direct access using XML was always prompting for a password and username -- and these instructions corrected my issue.

I'm not completely sure why there is an apparent difference in logging into Web Direct (which gave me no browser prompt, but only the login form I would expect), while the XML method (using: /fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?) was always prompting until I followed your instructions.