6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 11:31 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini

franky123

Title

Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini

Your post

I am curious if someone can help?  I have a Mac Mini with the following specs.  2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM @ 1067 MHz DDR3.  I am just starting to set up a Server for Filemaker and only have up to 4 user with limited usage.  I also have a 27" IMac with the following specs 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3, this computer however is used as my primary desktop (so it prints, and emails.  It says in the FileMaker notes that I shouldn't use the primary desktop as a server.  

My question is:  Which one should I make my server?  OR are both too small?  

Thanks for your inputs.  Tom

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini

tlu:

Thanks for posting!

You certainly don't want to use your primary desktop as the server (we recommend a dedicated machine) but, assuming it's running OS X 10.6, the Mac Mini's a bit under spec. Specifically, FileMaker Server 11 requires a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. You can find the full system requirements in the following knowledge base answer:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7638

You could use FileMaker Pro to host out the files (limited to 9 simultaneous users as opposed to FileMaker Server 11's 250 simultaneous users) but you'd be losing out on the administrative benefits of FileMaker Server.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini
            franky123

Thanks for the reply.  Exactly what would you recommend then??  

Would a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard Server be good?  2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM,  500GB Hard Drive.

I am open to suggestions.  Advise is appreciated.

Tom

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini

tlu:

That would meet minimum specs so, especially considering the number of users, it should work without an issue.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini
                oguh1

Hey tlu,

I'm running FM10 Server on Mac Mini 2GB RAM 2006 Model 10.5 , so quite old machine. Up to 10 Users mo problems at all.

FM11 on indendical Mac Mini 10.6 runs fine. FMS needs Harddisk speed to perform well, so Mini with resonable RAM external fast disks should do the job for most smaller installations.

HU

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini
                  franky123

Hey hubert,

Thanks for the reply, nice to know that I may give it a try.  After doing a little more research I have a couple more questions.  

So I have FMP Server.  Do I have to a special internet IP address or anything different to be able to reach my computer with server on it??  The real reason I want server is to be able to connect my iPad onto the server and be able to edit and read data when I am out selling product.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Tom

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server 11 on Mac Mini
                    philmodjunk

It depends on how you connect. For workstations using Filemaker to access the server or your iPad using WiFi, no. If you want to access it via 3G then this accesses your network from the outside and there are additional steps you'll need to take to set this up. FileMaker has put up a PDF file on this that you can download to learn more.