3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 3:55 PM by NatasOmicron

Filemaker Server 11v5 admin console will not launch

NatasOmicron

Title

Filemaker Server 11v5 admin console will not launch

Your post

I just upgraded our FMS 11 to v5 which has been out since Feb 2013. This is on an OS X 10.6.8 installation (not OSX Server).

Now I cannot launch the admin console. Error: "Unable to launch the application."

I tried uninstalling v5 and reinstalling v1, then upgrading to v3, but the result is the same--can't launch admin console. I know this is all Java-related but that doesn't help, my Java is the latest version available through Software Update, I cleared the cache, rebooted etc.

I downloaded Java 10.6 Update16 and ran it -- it installed fine, but didn't help.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 11v5 admin console will not launch
          NatasOmicron

Update to the above: it looks like the issue is that the tomcat server is not auto-starting, i.e. not starting as a service or process at startup.

If I manually kickstart it by going to /Library/Filemaker Server/Admin/admin-master-tomcat/bin/ and then running ./startup.sh, tomcat/catalina/coyote will run and the Admin Console has something to connect to. Then everything works.

However that requires a manual start of tomcat with each reboot -- and even then, the process runs as an application that must remain active in the foreground.

Command-line management (fmsadmin) works fine.

Note that I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times already.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server 11v5 admin console will not launch
            alternapop

I had the same problem and fixed it this way:

1. download: http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1360/en_US/JavaForMacOSX10.6.dmg

2. use the software Pacifist to open the pkg that you download above.

3. right-click on "Contents of JavaForMacOSX10.6.pkg" within the Pacifist window and select, "Install to default location".

4. select "replace" within every dialog that you see.

5. reboot

if you try to run the installer the usual way it'll fail telling you that newer software is already installed.

I did this on a server that we use for testing FMP databases.  Please make sure you know what you're doing if you do this on a production system.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 11v5 admin console will not launch
              NatasOmicron

Even better solution: 

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11958/kw/11958

I called Filemaker this morning and they had posted this "patch" one hour before I called. (It's not really a patch, you have to edit a config file but it's easy enough.) The whole thing is indeed just a problem with catalina not autostarting -- the fix is to add a Java switch instructing catalina to operate in "headless" mode...

I wish I'd known this before I deinstalled and reinstalled FMS. I had to recreate all my schedules etc.