3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 11:35 AM by atsushimatsuo

FileMaker Server 13 Firewall Ports

LarryGoldman

Title

FileMaker Server 13 Firewall Ports

Your post

The document http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12120 lists the ports that FileMaker Server 13 uses.

On a generic Mac OS X 10.9.1/FMS 13.0.1 machine, using IceFloor to control the pf firewall, I open all the ports listed, but still FMS13 fails to start after reboot. In the Console, there is a message:

FileMaker Database Server quitting! Network initialization error. (EventLogWriter missing)

Furthermore, after this error occurs, the FMS13 installation is damaged and will no longer run (Web Server indicator in Admin page is grey), even after the firewall is removed.

Anyone else see this problem?

Besides the ports listed in the document, what other Firewall Ports need to be opened to allow FMS13 to run?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Firewall Ports
          atsushimatsuo

OS X Mavericks v10.9.1 (with pf enabled / 'block log inet all' rule) blocks TCP port 5003 on en0 network.
               This issue is not related to OS X Mountain Lion.

If using OS X Mavericks (v10.9.1), a current workaround is editing /Library/IceFloor/icefloor.conf and restart pf.

[before]
               block log inet all label "Generic_blocks_(IPv4)"

[after]
               block log inet from { !en0 } to any

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Firewall Ports
            LarryGoldman

Atsushi Matsuo:

Thank you for your reply.

1) Where is this defect in 10.9.1 documented? Has it been fixed in 10.9.2? Why doesn't IceFloor open port 5003 if it is specified in a custom service?

2) Even with your fix in place, I was unable to get FMS13 to work with IceFloor/pf enabled for anything other than "All Services (tcp, udp)" open. I tried a custom service with all of the specified FMS13 ports open, but I still get the "Network Initialization Error" in the Console log and no databases appearing in WebDirect page.

Has anyone gotten FMS13 to work with IceFloor/pf FireWall enabled? If so, how, exactly?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Firewall Ports
              atsushimatsuo

I had found a similar report before.
                   https://discussions.apple.com/message/23719318#23719318

OS X Mavericks v10.9.2 has a little improvement (fmserverd can launch), but is not perfect for me. This workaround is still needed.

I recommend confirming current rules (sudo pfctl -sr) and checking /var/log/pffirewall.log.