3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 3:35 PM by TSGal

FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2 Crash (ntdll.dll)

MichaelHasenauer

Title

FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2 Crash (ntdll.dll)

Your post

Hi,

we are using FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2 running on a VMware with Windows Server 2003 SP2 operating system.

Only our application (one file) is hosted on the server, 50 FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Clients are currently connected to the system via Citrix.

Repeatly the server crashes with the following error message (different fault addresses): 

Faulting application fmserver.exe, version 10.0.1.51, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.4455, fault address 0x000109f2.

We had the same problem using FileMaker Server Advanced 9.0v3 and updated to 10.0v2 --> no effect.

We restart the server every night to delete/reset the temporary files --> no effect.

There is also no antivirus and filescan running.

Has there anyone an idea what causes to this problem.

Regards,

Michael

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2 Crash (ntdll.dll)
          TSGal

Michael Hasenauer:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

A number of these problems with ntdll.dll were reported awhile ago, and then they disappeared.  We believe this fix was due to an update from Microsoft OS.  Therefore, make sure you are up-to-date with your OS updates.  Also, are you running R1 or R2?

Hopefully, you have found a solution during these past two months.  If you have, please post what steps you took to correct this so that others can benefit in case they run into the same issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2 Crash (ntdll.dll)
            jkrier

We've had 2  FileMaker crashes in the past two days. We are running FMServer 11 on Windows 2008 SP2 Enterprise, Virtual Server - VMWare

The first crash: Clients were logged in and then  they were kicked out of FileMaker.  The FM server events log said : "Client < name> no longer responding, connection closed (10) for each client.

The Admin Console still showed the clients as connected and when they reconnected they showed up twice in the admin console (same name and IP address).

We tried to disconnect all clients and close all databases but the Admin Console was unresponsive. Then we tried to use the fmsadmin command line commands to close the databases. It didn't work.

We tried next to stop the  FM Service from Windows and it wouldn't stop. Finally we rebooted the server and it came back since we have auto restart set. All the databases verified and opened as normal.

The second crash: FM server suddenly stopped. I was in the Admin console at the time  and it said "The Database Server is not available". It showed the database in red. The message on the console Overview page said  "An error was encountered communicating with the server"   We exited the console and got back into the console and restarted FMServer from the top left "Start DB" button.  All files verified and opened.

The error in the Server's event viewer Application log was:

Faulting application fmserver.exe, version 11.0.1.86, time stamp 0x4b6b3007, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03824, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0006278e, process      id0x97c, application start time 0x01cacab62f42623e.

--

We had these same crashes recently on FM10 Server. They seem to have started happening when we switched to WIndows Server 2008 sp2 Enterprise.  I know FMServer 11 is certified for this O/S.

The only difference is that we are running "Enterprise" Edition, not Standard Edition.    Tech Specs says it is certified for Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP2

Has FileMaker done any testing on the enterprise version?

--

I've been researching these errors and have seen several posts that the ntdll.dll has been an issue since FM Server9.

--

Any help\insight is greatly appreciated as everytime FileMaker crashes our entire business is interrupted..

--

Thank you,

Julie Kier

Nth Generation Computing

julie.krier@nth.com

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2 Crash (ntdll.dll)
              TSGal

Julie Kier:

Thank you for your post.

Although FileMaker Server 11 was not certified with Enterprise Edition, I seriously doubt this is a factor.

Regarding the first crash, I don't know why FileMaker Server would still be holding onto those clients and be non-responsive.  I know that doesn't help you, so I'd like to get more information.

Are any other applications running on the server?  If so, can you stop the other applications and see if you encounter the error again?

What are the specs of the server?  How much memory?

The second crash concerns me more (and it may be related to the first crash).  The ntdll issue has been around since Server 9, and although we have been unable to reproduce the problem, we know it exists.  The issue seemed to disappear, and we attributed it to an update from Microsoft.  This doesn't seem follow in your case.  A couple of users solved this previously by uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Server.  Some users reinstalled the OS.  I do not want to head down that road at the moment.  We can handled this by going back and forth, but it may be easier to talk directly with your Technical Support department since they can determine the best course of action depending on answers to specific questions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.