4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 12:58 AM by LeonMeijer

Filemaker Server Advanced 11 Install

echotech

Title

Filemaker Server Advanced 11 Install

Your post

Hello,  I'm installing Filemaker Server Advanced 11 on a Windows Server 2008R2 machine and the web publishing portion will not deploy.  I keep getting the following error:

"Web server test failed.  Return code = -1"  (on the initial setup, I just skipped this and then came back to it later).

"The Filemaker installation process was unable to communicate with the Server you had previously selected."

Here's what I'm working with.

HP Quad CPU Server with 8GB RAM

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with all necessary updates and patches installed

Filemaker Server Advanced 11 dedicated to this machine

... and the process I followed.

- I installed the MS Windows Server 2008 R2 and then applied all necessary patches. 

- I then deployed the IIS 7 Role.  I rebooted the server.

- I proceeded to install Filemaker 11 Server.  This is a new install, nothing installed prior.

- IIS was found/discovered during the setup process but when I try to test the server, the error above appears.

- I am able to bring up the default webpage immediately after IIS is installed, as well as afterward.

- I'm able to connect to the default database in Filemaker client

- I'm able to connect with the FM Administrator Console, both local and remote

- I have 2 other Filemaker Server Advanced 10 installed and running which I setup on Server 2003 about 3-4 years ago

- I have included the ports suggested by the documentation, into the exception lisf for the firewall, I also dropped the FW altogether

- I'm not getting anything suggestive in the event or log files

In troubleshooting this issue, I've tried using the ip address, machine name and localhost for the Host: field.  I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both IIS and Filemaker.  I've played around with permissions and app pools to no avail.  I've followed some troubleshooting suggested in various other forums to no avail.

I've never had this much trouble setting up FM in the past so it seems kinda like I may be doing something 'obvious' wrong.  Does anybody have any idea what I may need to do to get this working.  I appreciate your help.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server Advanced 11 Install
          d.justins

I am having the same issue.

I've read all the documents and have triend everything. And a common question the filemaker tech asks is, "do you have sharepoint installed." No, i don't. And i've tried port 591. And i've done about everything i could think of.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server Advanced 11 Install
            MTech

Ran into a similar issue which had me pulling my hair out. I felt as if I had done everything correctly.

- IIS role was running

- Filemaker Server was installed and database was mounted.

Only after I uninstalled IIS completely and reinstalled it did Filemaker actually go through and create the needed IIS settings.

Hope this helps someone...

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server Advanced 11 Install
              bmerc

Thanks to M Tech, his solution helped me. Laughing

Uninstalling and reinstalling IIS on the web server immediately resolved this problem for me. I only wish I'd found this earlier, as I had spent many hours trying to troubleshoot this.

FileMaker Server expects you to use the default web site initially created when IIS is installed, but in addition to that, I think FileMaker expects the site to be configured exactly as it is with a clean install. Changing the installed role services or changing other configuration options for IIS causes FM Server to fail to talk to IIS. I don't know exactly what changes triggered this, but once you have a working installation, I'd recommend making a backup of the web server configuration. This can be done by typing the following command in a command prompt on the IIS server.

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd add backup NAME_OF_BACKUP

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server Advanced 11 Install
                LeonMeijer

Hello,

having the same problem here, installing FileMaker Advanced server 11 on windows 2003.

Tried reinstalling IIS but still the return code -1 error appears.