5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 9:17 AM by tgrace

Filemaker Server hosted file returns three results on search

AaronNeville

Title

Filemaker Server hosted file returns three results on search

Your post

I have a file that connects via ODBC to MSSQL for some tables. When I open it locally on the server using Filemaker Pro, searches in various fields yield correct results. If I host the same file from Filemaker Server 10 on Mac OS X Server 10.5, the results are limited to three at a time. No matter what the search or field, if there are more than three results, I only get three results.

Again:

Filemaker Server 10

Mac OS X Server 10.5

Furthermore, I have tested the same tables in dummy files and same results. Testing with the demo file yields more than three results.

Add to this that I have attempted to reinstall Filemaker Server with no change. The only caveat here is that I could only locate a "Trial" version of FM Server 10.0.1, I think. Had to use the updater to bring it back up to speed.

Any thoughts? Think I need the full installer, which is no longer available in my 90 day vol lic letter?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server hosted file returns three results on search
          philmodjunk

I can't imagine that the trial version would work any different from the regular install in this area.

We use Filemaker Server 10 on a windows box and don't see any such problem, nor have I seen similar reports from other users.

I suggest investigating further.

Create a brand new file with more than three simple records.

Host it on your server and performs some finds that should bring up more than three records.

If you can get a found set of more than three records on your test file, then the problem is likely with your file rather than your install of filemaker server.

Feel free to post a more detailed description of what you are doing. We might be able to spot the problem.

Edit note: please ignore this post, I missed the reference to the ODBC connection. I suspect, as does BVOTH, that your problem lies there.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server hosted file returns three results on search
            bvoth
            What ODBC driver are you using to connect to SQL? It could be limiting your "resultset" count.
            • 3. Re: Filemaker Server hosted file returns three results on search
              AaronNeville

I'm using the Actual Technologies Express (or something in Trial mode).

On the same machine that it's hosting from, I have been able to open the file directly with FMP and perform searches [against the MSSQL service] without these problems. I do not believe it's the ODBC driver since it's utilizing the same driver via FMP "local" and "remote" file open.

Again, I have created brand new files with the same ODBC connection and they work locally until I host them.

Also, hosting the demo file, that comes with the FMP Server install, I have been able to search and find more than three records without error.

Also, I got my hands on a standard installation image for FMP Server and ran the uninstall, going so far as to restart afterwards. Reinstalled using the standard install (not the trial) and no change.

I'll check settings in the ODBC, but it seems like it should cause problems hosted or not.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server hosted file returns three results on search
                AaronNeville

Sorry. I finally looked at the ODBC driver and the trial has a 3 record limit after the exp date is reached. (Though the exp should be in another 30 days from now) Not sure why it works in local mode. Lame.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server hosted file returns three results on search
                  tgrace

I am having this same issue with the Filemaker Server 11.  It was working properly on Filemaker Server 10 but once we switched to 11, it is limited on a search.  We are not on any trial version.