6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 7:41 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in

davidhead

Title

FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in

Your post

Hi all

Just came across some very strange behaviour on a client's network. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before:

Five users logged onto FileMaker Pro database and using it.

Services Console on server show service not running.

Start service.

Open Server Admin Console and all five users show as logged in.

However, users were logged in when I started the service, not when they actually logged in.

FileMaker Server 10

Win 2003 Server 

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in
          davidhead

Same server the other day. New issues.

Log into server admin console and shows no users although three are logged in and using the FileMaker Pro database. 

In the console cannot stop the database server - "an error occurred..." 

Also in schedules, all backup paths are invalid - even the default path. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in
            TSGal

David:

There have been a couple of other users reporting a similar problem with the Admin Console showing no users even though others are logged in.  Unfortunately, there is nothing to pinpoint at this time.

Since this happened last Saturday (Friday in the USA), I'm assuming you have rebooted and everything is working fine at this time.

If you still have the logs, could you send them to me?  I have sent you a private message with directions where to send the files.

Regarding the first problem with the erroneous login times, I don't have an answer, but if the Admin Console keeps track of the user login times and the Admin Console was closed, then I can understand why the times appear as they do.  This is pure speculation, and I'll try to confirm this behavior.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in
              davidhead

Hi TSGal

I have checked the logs when the problem occurred and there is nothing out of the ordinary to send you. The logs do not seem to be recording this behaviour or any unusual behaviour. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in
                TSGal

David:

Thanks for checking the logs.

There is some confusion with the testers.  Here is the latest post from them...

"Is the administrator viewing the Clients panel "Connect Time" column?  Or, is the administrator looking at the logs?  Are they all Pro clients or Web clients or both?  A screenshot of the area where the administrator is looking at connect times would be helpful."

I think we established this is the Clients panel, but can you either post the screenshot or send a screenshot to me?

Thanks.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in
                  davidhead

I have to get back to Australia and then visit the client. ;)

I will check back with them and advise.

To answer the questions:

1. Yes it is the Clients panel

2. No I am not looking at the logs for that 

3. All Pro clients 

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server service not running but users logged in
                    TSGal

uLearnIT:

Development wants to see specific FileMaker Server log files.  Go to:

FileMaker Server -> Admin -> admin-master-tomcat -> logs

They would like to see all logs, "especially the AdminServer.log and catalina.log files.  The regular Event.log and Access.log files do not have any information of AdminServer activities."

Thanks for your patience on this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.