3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 11:17 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Server to FileMaker Go, and back again - transaction processing over wireless

nmurphy24

Title

Filemaker Server to FileMaker Go, and back again - transaction processing over wireless

Your post

Filemaker Go to FIleMaker Server - Is there a Filemaker supported method by transaction?
      If a Filemaker Go record is updated 'in the field', can it update the Filemaker server a record at a time? Example, the tech in the field wants to let the central office know he has finished servicing the customer at   X time, so he can receive more work.  The  X would go back to the central server, which would determine his next customer, and wireesly send it to him

Same question going the other way, if a recorded is added to the Filemaker server, will it automatically be transmitted to corresponding File Go tables?   

I don't want to send entire tables (especially using 3g), just the changed data.  Using a officially supported FileMaker / Apple solution would be best.

Of course I need to make sure any changes are committed on both server and iPhone, or else rolled back

THanks

Neil

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server to FileMaker Go, and back again - transaction processing over wireless
          philmodjunk

Trying to "sync" changes between separate copies of the database with multiple users making independent changes to existing data can be a real nightmare to work with so it's best to avoid that approach if you can.

The simplest method is to store the data in the database file hosted by Filemaker Server. your Go device then connects to the server via wifi or 3G as a client of the database. SInce the data is all stored on the server, any changes made by any user will be accessible to all users. This does require a reliable connection to the host and 3G can limit speed, but you will not be downloading the entire database to you Go device so this can be made to work if you have a good wireless connection and design the system to work within it's inherent limitations.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server to FileMaker Go, and back again - transaction processing over wireless
            nmurphy24

Phil, thank you,  Do you happen to know if there is  

1) if one record is updated by either the client of server, is only the one record sent, or the whole table?  

2) If there is some built in mechanizm for keeping the client and server in sync, . For example, if the client sends a record, and the wireless connection drops half way thru, is there  built into the  software of the server smart enough to detect this, and not to commit the record to the server data base, and to request retransmission?

Thanks, Neil Murphy

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server to FileMaker Go, and back again - transaction processing over wireless
              philmodjunk

I am not a Go user, so I am rapidly reaching the limits of what I can advise, but hopefully your duplicate post in the FM GO forum will garner a few helpful responses from TSGal and or fellow Go users.

I don't have a complete picture of what FileMaker does when a client session commits a record, but know that it is more than just that record, but less than the whole table. (Performance on any system would be brought to it's knees here where we have a few tables with more than a million records in each...) I think the data in the modified record plus indexing info needed to perform searches etc on that table--but that's just a guess on my part.

Not being a Go user, I don't know what happens if the connection drops mid transfer. I'd hope that it would detect the drop and try again, but can't confirm that for you. This would be a good question to ask in the FM GO forum. (They aren't as active there, but questions posted there do get answered eventually...)