2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 11:34 AM by cresal

Filemaker Server trying to open non-existant file

cresal

Title

Filemaker Server trying to open non-existant file

Your post

Hey there. 

So I have a funny problem. I just installed our new version of Filemaker Server Advanced, pointed it at the folder where we keep our databases, and turned them on. This file is where they're normally kept and where they were running from before this new version was installed. But during the last week we had been running two of them off two separate computers while our network was down so I copied the databases onto the main folder on the server from these other computers. One of them works fine, no trouble at all. The other (called "Research") is open and running off the server, but it gives me a funny response when I try to open it on any computer. A dialog box pops up saying "The file “People Database Copy.fp7” could not be opened.  (Not Found)" (a backup copy of the other database). The file it's trying to open USED to be in that folder, but was deleted when I was done and we moved back to our regular backingup system. 

After clicking ok it opens a finder window to locate the missing database. canceling that finder window opens my Research database. *boggle*

I made another copy of the research database, called it "Research Database Copy BACKUP", but it still did it. 

Giving it an entirely unrelated name produced the same result. 

Hosting it from my Filemaker Pro on my own computer does not produce this result. 

Ideas? How do I make it stop looking for a non-existant file when opening a different database?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server trying to open non-existant file
          philmodjunk

You have some reference somewhere on a layout, script or calculation that refers to this file by name. When you open it on your local system, chances are that it finds this file and opens it. (Check Windows | | Show Window and see if it's listed there). On the server, it can't find the file and you get this error message.

Open Manage | External Data Sources and look. I predict you'll find an entry there that refers to People Database Copy.fp7 that needs to be removed or changed to make this dialog stop appearing. It would be wise to check carefully to see what elements of your system refer to this before you remove it to see if you can safely do so or if you need to redirect this reference to a different file used in your system.

FileMaker's Database Design Report can be very useful for this as you can generate the DDR, open it in your web browser and do a text search for the data source name to discover where it may be in use.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server trying to open non-existant file
            cresal

*facepalm* duh. of course. i should have caught that. i did have it linked to the backup copy while the network was down. thank you!