Thank you for your post.
Below are the instructions for performing a smooth update on Mac OS X per FileMaker's Knowledge Base Article 11287. The full article and steps for both Windows and Mac OS are found at the following link:
Updater Instructions (Windows 7, Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008 Server, and Window 2008 Server R2)
To ensure a smooth update, disable virus detection software before applying the update, and re-enable it after you are finished. You may be prompted to insert your original installation CD or locate the original installation software during the update process.
Before running the updater
- Disconnect all clients and close all files.
- In the FileMaker Server Admin Console, stop Web Publishing and the Database Server.
- Quit the FileMaker Server Admin Console and the Start Page if they are running.
- In the Windows Services Console, select Services (Local).
- Select the FileMaker Server service, then choose Action menu > Stop.
- Quit web browsers before applying the update.
Install the new software
- Double-click Setup.exe. (Note: Please do not run FileMaker Server 12v3 Update.msp).
- Read the license agreement. If you agree to the terms, click “Update”, and then proceed as directed. After the update has completed, you will see a message confirming the successful installation of the new version.
- Click “Finish” to quit the updater when completed.
- Open the FileMaker Server 12 Admin Console Start Page.
- Under Software Update, the Current Installed Version should now read 18.104.22.1687.