AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filemaker Server vs Windows Server?

Question asked by ritchis on Dec 15, 2008
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 by DefenistrateIt

Title

Filemaker Server vs Windows Server?

Your post

I remotely support a Filemaker Server 8.5 installation at one of our other offices. It is serving three relatively small interlinked files. Recently, that computer has been abruptly quitting on a periodic basis and when it does, one of the files (the smallest and least active) is corrupted every time, requiring restoration from a backup.

The machine in question is running Windows Server 2000 and also doubles as an FTP server.

The on-the-spot Windows networking guy has suggested that the Filemaker server be moved to a different computer because "it's a bad idea to have two FTP servers on the same computer." I'm not sure where he got the idea that Filemaker uses or conflicts with FTP. I've done a little research on-line and found no reference to such conflicts. FMS and FTP don't use the same ports, for example. But I'm a Mac guy and a lot of Windows networking stuff is just beyond me. Does anybody here have any insight for me on this one? 

Also, the machine that he's suggesting we move the Filemaker Server to is also a fairly active SQL server. Any potential problems there? Again, I've found no reference to any port conflicts, but I'd like to be reassured.

Thanks 

Outcomes