1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 10:47 AM by rmanook

FileMaker Slowdown on New Record (and some replace statements)

RichardS

Title

FileMaker Slowdown on New Record (and some replace statements)

Your post

We have been using FileMaker since about version 4 (possibly 3).
      Currently our solution is running on FileMaker 9 Server and we are having some speed issues when creating new records in a specific file (table).

Here are some of the questions that have come up in trying to fix the problem:
      =============================================
      Slow relationships:

Master::Cust No = Master_Order_Next::Cust No
      AND
      Master::OrderDate < Master_Order_Next::OrderDate

Master::Cust No = Master_Order_Previous::Cust No
      AND
      Master::OrderDate > Master_Order_Previous::OrderDate

Anything using "Master_Order_Next" or "Master_Order_Previous" seems to take a long time to run.

Are their any field types that would cause a relationship to slow down? (i.e., Date, DateTime, etc)?
      Do relationships run in FileMaker Server or in the Client? (On version 8? 9? 10?)

Recommended Hardware under our situation?
      Is it better to have MySQL on the same computer as FileMaker Server or a different computer?

Is there any estimate on when the crashing when sorting large datasets from a MySQL (ODBC) connection will be fixed?

Will it be changed to sort MySQL (ODBC) data through the query in the connection rather than cache all the data then sort it in FileMaker?

When running FileMaker Server does the MySQL (ODBC) sort take place on the Server or on the Client requesting the sort?
      ============================================

There are 29 files in the solution, between all of them there are over 10 million records, 2200 fields, 300 relationships, and take up about 4 gigabytes of hard drive space.

Right now we want to get everything running smoothly. Later we plan on migrating all the data into MySQL.

More information is available if needed.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Slowdown on New Record (and some replace statements)
          rmanook

Hi RichardS,

Thanks for posting.

Are their any field types that would cause a relationship to slow down? (i.e., Date, DateTime, etc)?
          ---I wouldn't lean toward the relationships as the issue here.  Just to verify, what is the benchmark of the speed issues vs creating a file in a table that is 'good'?  As a test, try creating a Save a Copy as > Clone (No records) file and try adding new records.  Does the issue persist?  If not, try saving the file as a Compact Copy and see if this affects performance.  If applicable, I would go to File > Manage > External Data Source and remove any dead file references.

Do relationships run in FileMaker Server or in the Client? (On version 8? 9? 10?)
          ---Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for this.  This question concerns the inner workings of the software of which I am not privy to

Recommended Hardware under our situation?
          ---You should be ok with the recommended hardware (or above) listed here:

Is it better to have MySQL on the same computer as FileMaker Server or a different computer?
          ---I have seen configurations with both apps occupying the same machine (taking into account that there are enough resources for both).  However, it is recommended that FileMaker Server sit on a dedicated machine. 

Is there any estimate on when the crashing when sorting large datasets from a MySQL (ODBC) connection will be fixed?
          ---It's policy that FileMaker does not comment or speculate on updates, fixes, future releases, etc.  I'd hate to offer any estimation, regardless, as fixes/features that may be lined up could get dropped at the last minute and not make it into a release/fix and I'd hate to set false expectations.

Will it be changed to sort MySQL (ODBC) data through the query in the connection rather than cache all the data then sort it in FileMaker?
          ---While the answer above applies, I would suggest adding a feature request 

When running FileMaker Server does the MySQL (ODBC) sort take place on the Server or on the Client requesting the sort?
          .--This is the same as the second question.  This type of question is on the engineering level of FileMaker of which we are not privy to.

Hope this helps,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, inc.