1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 10:41 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker SQL Interoperability

MikeWoods

Title

Filemaker SQL Interoperability

Your post

Hi, we currently run our entire database infrastructure on Filemaker Pro and this is an extremely efficient system. However I am finding that having the data available within SQL would be a great benefit when it comes to off the shelf products such as dashboards and custom web apps etc.

Rather than rebuilding all our Filemaker forms and queries to operate with the SQL server as a backend I would, in the first instance like to set up an exact copy of the data on the SQL server and simply allow the non filemaker compatible apps to interface with the live data via SQL. could anyone tell me if this is feasible or maybe sugggest a better way of accomplishing my goal ?

• 1. Re: Filemaker SQL Interoperability
          philmodjunk

It's possible if you use a SQL database application that supports an ESS link (Extended SQL Source) via ODBC to the application. Some applications support this and others don't. I forget the current list for that so I can't just post it here. WIth that connection, you can "repoint" the table occurrences in Manage | Database | Relationships to access the tables in the SQL database and then FileMaker functions as the "front end" application for that database.

So, in theory, this is quite possible, but not something to do without some careful research.