3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 11:01 AM by koryb

Filter Portal Records / Specific Record / IWP

koryb

Title

Filter Portal Records / Specific Record / IWP

Your post

We have multiple databases used for separate purposes (Client Contacts, Repair Jobs, Sales Quotes, etc.). Using IWP, we're building a new database that our clients can access online, in which we want them to see much of this info. The model of this new database would be one record per client, in which they can see all the info we want them to.

To show related data from our other databases we're using portals. I can set up a portal of Repair Jobs and the client can easily see a list of all their service history. Each row of the portal shows the Repair #, Repair Date, Billable Time, and Summary Description of the job.

However, our next goal is for the client to be able to click a button, and then see the full detail of each repair. This is where I'm stuck. I know we can Show Related Records and switch to the Repair Jobs database to see the detail. We do this in-house. But switching databases within IWP seems to be a source of confusion to the web experience. So instead I want to have a different layout within the same database showing this detail.

I'm trying to figure this out with the Filter Portal Records function. I want to click the button next to the Repair #, and then switch to a different layout with a different portal (only one record) with the Portal Filter set to show that same specific record. In this new layout we'd include the expanded fields showing the full repair details.

I can't figure out the Portal Filter to do this, and didn't see it searching the forums. If anyone has guidance I'd be sincerely appreciative. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Filter Portal Records / Specific Record / IWP
          philmodjunk

This post doesn't appear to have anything to do with FileMaker Server, the topic of this section of the Forum. Would you like me to move this thread to the FM Pro forum for you?

Instead of the portal, add a table occurrence to the table in the other database file where this data is stored. YOu do this by opening Manage | Database | Relationships and clicking the far bottom left button. Then, in the dialog that opens, select Add FileMaker data source in the data source drop down. From there, you can open the other database file and select a table from it.

Once you have added this new table occurrence, you can link it in a relationship. Since you are using Go To Related Records, I would guess that you have already done this. Once you have the table occurrence and relationship that you need, add a layout to this same file that is based on this table occurrence, designed to show the detail info and you can just use Go To related records to switch layouts instead of also switching files.

• 2. Re: Filter Portal Records / Specific Record / IWP
            koryb

Thanks for the quick reply. Feel free to move my post to the FM Pro Forum. Sorry about that; we're using FM Server but yes I see that this is not a Server specific question.

I appreciate your suggestion and am trying to implement; however, when I now click the button to GTRR nothing happens.

The steps I took are as follows:

1. I still have the initial portal to list all previous Repairs. When you said "Instead of the portal" I assume you meant instead of my use of the 2nd portal as a means of seeing the Repair details. I still need the original portal to list all jobs.

2. I created a relationship between our new database and the Table containing the related fields in our Repairs database.

3. I created a new layout within my new database showing records from the Repair database's Table.

4. I edited my button to "Get Related Records" from the Repair database's Table, and "Show Record" using the new layout I created.

Again when I hit the button aside from a tiny flash of the button nothing happens. Any ideas?

Thank you again immensely!

• 3. Re: Filter Portal Records / Specific Record / IWP
              koryb

I believe I have it figured out. Just some confusion over the relationship setup. Thank you again. This was a HUGE help!!!