AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filter Portal Search Results by Partial Match

Question asked by rmaltsberger on Mar 29, 2011

Title

Filter Portal Search Results by Partial Match

Your post

So I've got one database that's a contact list, and another database that tracks received mail.

We'll be working primarily in the mail database unless we're adding and editing contacts.

The mail database has a functioning portal that displays name/cube number of contacts when their last name is typed in a search field.  For example, I can type in "Jones" so Jason Jones and Matthew Jones show up in the portal, along with their cube, etc.  I achieved this by filtering the portal results so only last names that match the search field are displayed.  I used AC22::last_name=Database2::Search

However, I want to be able to search by the first 3 characters of the last name.  For example, I would like to be able to type in "Jon" and get back Jason Jones, Matthew Jones, Ryan Jonson and Pat Jontille.  What filter calculation can I use to achieve this?  Or can I even since the result has to be boolean?

And once I do show all the results I want, how can I use them (well, 1 contact's results) to populate related fields in the new record?

Outcomes