2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 11:52 AM by dbail22@comcast.net

FM 11 Server Advanced install problem

dbail22@comcast.net

Title

FM 11 Server Advanced install problem

Your post

I downloaded FM Server 11 Adv. to test.  I installed the server on a Windows 7 computer but there are problems.  While I can access the files on the server using "Remote" from a computer on the same network, I cannot see any files when trying to access through iwp.  I also have trouble completing the web server setup on the server.  It fails and asks for the ip and port.  When I open the files in filemaker pro on the w7 computer iwp is on and the port is shown ast 192.168.1.105:591 and the box is unchecked so the files should appear.  I assume it is using 591 because of a port conflict with IIS.  In any case i cannot complete the web server install part using ANY ip and port#.

I turned the firewall completely off on the server computer and still the files will not appear on the iwp menu. I cannot even see them on the Server computer using http://localhost:591/fmi/iwp. Removing the 591 or using 80 does not make the files appear.  The menu does not even appear much less the files. Just the cannot display the web site message.

What kind of settings would allow the FM network to work but block the iwp publishing?

• 1. Re: FM 11 Server Advanced install problem
          TSDuck

Hi dbail:

Thanks for posting.

What version of Windows 7 are you running FileMaker Server 11 Advanced on?

What is the processor speed and RAM on the server machine?

What is the exact error you receive during web server deployment?

Are any web sites running through IIS on the Windows 7 machine?

How many network adapters are running your machine?

If you have more then one network adapter, disable all but one of them, reboot, and launch the admin console.  From the admin console, select edit deployment and enable web publishing again. 

It is also possible there could be a service conflict causing the issue.  You may want to try a selective start up on the Windows 7 machine.  From the start menu, type msconfig in the search box.  Launch the system configuration utility and select the general tab.  Set the start up type to selective start up.  Go to the services tab and check “Hide all Microsoft Services.”  Uncheck all the services except Bonjour and FileMaker Server.  Hit apply and ok to reboot with services disabled.  After the reboot, test the web deployment again.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM 11 Server Advanced install problem
            dbail22@comcast.net

Turns out I guess I was expecting too much from the installer.  I assumed that if I chose not to enable the special web publishing options but to include instant web publishing the installer would install everything it needs.  As I found out you still need to have a complete installation of IIs on a PC before you can use iwp.  I don't understand why the installer cannot make this change.  The information available on trouble shooting installations is woefully inadequate.  We left the days of getting a good manual with sofware some years ago. We no seem to have entered an era where less and less information will be published and available.

It would have seemed simple to indicate somewhwere in the install instrucitons EXACTLY what would be necessary for each feature.

disappointed...