2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 1:10 PM by ronniemilsap

FM 12 server: Clients dropped

ronniemilsap

Title

FM 12 server: Clients dropped

Your post

Filemaker server 12 running on a VM (Server 2008).

Clients are not configured to sleep.  Disconnect when idle is inactive.

Security/Permissions have not been configured to disconnect.

I have run pings to and from server and client without any failures.

I have uninstalled antivirus.

Some clients continue to get dropped, sometimes while entering data!  I'm getting error 51, "No longer responding; connection closed."  It's happening on enough clients to know it's not a switch problem.

Please help me before I lose my mind.

• 1. Re: FM 12 server: Clients dropped

Houston Speeler:

Thank you for the post. 

"It's happening on enough clients to know it's not a switch problem."

While this may not be a "switch" problem per se, the issue is still likely the network environment. This is easy enough to test by creating an Ad Hoc connection:

1. Install FileMaker Pro 12 to the same computer as the FileMaker Server

2. Open database files hosted by the server using Open Remote

3. Leave the files open

This test will produce either one of two results:

Result #1: FileMaker Pro 12 on the server does not disconnect.

Note: This result indicates the problem is the network environment.

Result #2: FileMaker Pro 12 on the server does disconnect.

Note: This result indicates the problem is located either with the software environment or the physical hardware of the server machine.

Please let me know if any of the above needs further clarification.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM 12 server: Clients dropped
            ronniemilsap

Ha.  Funny you say that. Thank you for replying.

I noticed that client software was installed on the server alongside the server software.  I found this because I was trying to install the 12.0.5 server update and it said it was not compatible with the installed version. Uninstalling the client did not resolve my issue.  I suppose I will try your suggestion as nothing else has resolved my issue.

I suspect that my problem is not our network environment, as in the main infrastructure, but more so the Blade network environment.  I will be testing other VMs on the same blade for similar behavior in the meantime.